Fruit

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel utterly stupid for asking this question but I want to make sure I were going to do things correctly, where nutrition information is provided for stoned fruits (plums etc) is the figure quoted for 100g of fruit weighed without the stone? Also does anyone know of a GOOD site that provides nutrition for fruit and veg? (please don't suggest I use my fitness pal as I have found their information to be wrong on many occasions) thanks :) x

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you will find that the stone is generally only a very small proportion of the weight of a fruit and that any information, from any source is bound to be inaccurate for a natural item, such as a plum. Details will vary according to variety, growing conditions and degree of ripeness, so I think you need to take all nutrition information as an approximation - unfortunately.
Sally

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree that there is going to be some small variation - when I've struggled to find information on MyFitnessPal I have used Tesco's website as they seem to be very good at giving averages per 100g for most fruit and vegetables that other stores don't. They don't have absolutely everything listed (peaches are missing) but most is (plums are there).

As for the stones I would take the weight as including the stones as the values are normally 'as sold per 100g' so leave them in before calculating if you can :)

Reactions: kaylz91

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The Carbs and Cals book, and presumably the app, shows pictures of the food so you can see what the weight refers to. For plums it shows a whole plum (with the stone) the plum weighs 110g and has 10g of carbs giving 9% carbs.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree that there is going to be some small variation - when I've struggled to find information on MyFitnessPal I have used Tesco's website as they seem to be very good at giving averages per 100g for most fruit and vegetables that other stores don't. They don't have absolutely everything listed (peaches are missing) but most is (plums are there).

As for the stones I would take the weight as including the stones as the values are normally 'as sold per 100g' so leave them in before calculating if you can :)
Yes I rely on Tesco quite a lot for nutrition haha, thanks x

D

Deleted Account

The quoted carbs are always an approximation.
The carbs in a slice of cake, for example, may vary if you get a slice with more fruit in it.
The carbs in fruit depends on the variety and conditions under which it was grown.
The only way of telling exactly how many carbs are in something are to burn it and then weigh the carbon that remains.
This feels like a waste of food so I just take the value quoted (making sure fibre is not included) because, our ability to deal with the carbs depends on many things such as how much exercise we have done, how stressed we are, whether we are ill.

Basically, there are too many unknowns to get hung up on a small % difference.

As for whether stones and peel are included, I assume they are and once in a while weigh a stone to remind myself it had neglible weight although banana skins are significant.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
7C83FC64-11D9-4170-9182-593C1E379AE3.jpeg
I use Tesco. com a lot as that’s where I buy my shopping! However I also use a calorie counting app (which also shows carbs). Here’s a couple of screen shots for plums. The top one shows when I searched for plums. The bottom one is what shows when I clicked on plums weighed with stone.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@helensaramay makes a good point about approximation and the variation in individual examples of food. There are, for example, lots of varieties of plums.
Something I am not sure about is the affect of ripeness. If you taste an unripe grape it is very tart and a fully ripe one can be very sweet does this mean an increase in sugar, if so where has it come from, has the overall amount of carbs increased?