brianna123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello all :)
My name is Brianna and i live in Australia. I am 20 and have had Type 1 diabetes since i was 4, so i guess you could say i haven't known any different.
So i get really frustrated with working out as a diabetic. I really enjoy going to the gym and working out however my diabetes does not! I usually go after lunch some time in the afternoon around 4ish. I workout for about an hour and a half and come home to have my dinner. I do not have any insulin. My last shot of insulin would have been around 12:30ish. This is because after i workout there is no need for insulin because my sugars are SO LOW! thats the problem. I start eating at like 6 and don't stop until 8 and then still wake up low around 2 in the morning because my sugars are just so low. Its annoying because i eat that much food again that there was really no point going to the gym because any weight i lost is put back on basically. I have tried so many different ways and nothing works. I dont want to stop working out but i need to do something because i feel i'm putting on weight with the amount i need to eat so as not to go low. And i like my intense workouts a lot!! ehhh really gets me down!! Any suggestions or tips? :/

Reactions: sandra curtis

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you eat anything before you work out? And do you work out everyday? I bought this book - diabetic athletes handbook it's really good

Reactions: brianna123

Harrysdad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
This was published recently in the Lancet and I've found it useful for running.

Attachments

• Exercise management in type 1 diabetes.pdf
    339.7 KB · Views: 521

auroralapetite

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Brianna, I am only new to this as I was quite recently diagnosed but I have found the Diabetics Athletes Handbook quite useful. What I have discovered through my training is that I need much less basal insulin on days I train as well as much less fast-acting insulin. I also eat a carb-based snack before training which also helps to keep my blood sugars from dropping.

brianna123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you eat anything before you work out? And do you work out everyday? I bought this book - diabetic athletes handbook it's really good
I work out at least 6 days a week. I am going to try eating something quite high in carbs before i work out today to see if it makes a difference. Thank you for this idea everyone. Also iv never heard of this book and am 100% going to check it out! thankyou

Reactions: Freema

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@brianna123 so sorry to hear of your frustrations!

Ironically I've recently dramatically cut back on formal exercise thanks to a persistent injury, yet the last three days I've been in the 2s, 3s and 4s for most of the time. It's ridiculous! Mind you, I have been rushing about like a mad thing.

I'm putting my current 4.1 status (up from 3.3 a little while ago) down to the unanticipated and sudden bout of gardening between 2pm and 4pm this afternoon. Grrrrrrrrrrr to delayed-reaction post-exercise hypos....!

:)

CathytheChef

I know it's super annoying - depending on the kind of exercise you do it can affect your blood sugars for up to 72 hours afterwards!! You need to remember 2 things:

1) It's far better for your health to be fit and fat than thin and unfit - you're still doing yourself good by exercising even if you're not loosing weight because of the extra food you need.
2) Everyone should eat more after working out. The food you eat after exercise goes directly to repairing and building muscle rather than gaining weight. Esp when you eat carbs after exercise, those are really important and the extra food will actually make you stronger and more fit, rather than making you gain weight.

The long and short of it is that you're not reversing all the good work you've done at the gym by having extra food during or after exercise. Make sure you have an extra snack before bed to avoid those night time hypos :)

Hope that helps xox

Reactions: Rakhi_gohil