Ftm transgender and blood sugars?

Jacob_Buchan_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I'm a female to male transgender and I'm going to be starting hormones within the next 6 months.... Does anyone know if this will effect my blood sugars or effect anything to do with my diabetes? Any ideas or help are welcome thanks

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Jacob_Buchan_ :)

I don't know the answer and I'd guess you've already tried googling for others in a similar situation. The only information I could find isn't directly relevant to your situation, but it says that in men with diabetes and low testosterone adding testosterone can lower blood sugar levels. However, your own hormones are unique to you, so I think the honest answer is that you're going to have to see how things go.

Test lots and be prepared for the possibility of both highs and lows.

Sorry that isn't much help, but I wish you all the best and hope things go smoothly for you :)

Reactions: Tabbyjoolz

lynn007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
animal abuse
ask the Dr they should know but I doubt it will effect you. Good luck on your big change x

NoughtQAF

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi jacob :) you probably already know this but the best person to speak to about this is your endocrinologist. Dr Seal is good if that is who you'll be seeing.

NoughtQAF

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just did a quick look and this is old but there are men with direct experience:

https://m.reddit.com/r/ftm/comments/44m8et/would_t_affect_my_insulin/

It seems to be looking at at a google search that there's no direct relationship between T1D/insulin usage and T. All the research that's copied everywhere seems to relate to potential for developing T2D (which is using T means you can develop more adipose and visceral fat which then increases the likelihood of developing insulin resistance).

Jacob_Buchan_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks it looks like the worst that could happen is I could develop insulin resistance but let's be honest it could be worse

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Jacob,
A lot of women find they need different insulin levels at different times of the month so I would say hormones can affect insulin/diabetes but I think it is one of those things where we are all different. If I was you I would just keep in mind that things may change and do some extra testing for a while to keep on top of it. Best of luck!