Full blood count

The diagnostic test for diabetes is called an HbA1c. Can I ask why you need to know?

I had a full blood a few weeks ago ( for something completely unrelated to diabetes) anyway I went to see gp today about my symptoms ( alwyS weeing, thirsty, itchy vagina, blurred vision) she said that the full bc would of picked it up if I was diabetic x

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a full blood a few weeks ago ( for something completely unrelated to diabetes) anyway I went to see gp today about my symptoms ( alwyS weeing, thirsty, itchy vagina, blurred vision) she said that the full bc would of picked it up if I was diabetic x

A full blood count is a general term for a range of things. Sounds like your GP may have included an HbA1c (which shows your average blood sugar level over 3 months) or maybe a plasma glucose level, which is your blood glucose level at the time the test was taken. I assume you have a follow up appt to see what the results show. It’s a good idea to ask for a print out. If you have any questions once you get your results back we can try to help you.

Edit for typo

Last edited:
A full blood count is a general term for a range of things. Sounds like your GP may have included an HbA1c (which shows your average blood sugar level over 3 months or maybe a plasma glucose level, which is your blood glucose level at the time the test was taken. I assume you have a follow up appt to see what the results show. It’s a good idea to ask for a print out. If you have any questions once you get your results back we can try to help you.
I have a appointment tomorrow. I will update. Thank you x

Reactions: Rachox
Ok. So I’ve been to the gp who are going to do bloods again. They’ve told me to book in. What time is better to book in? Ie: morning? Afternoon? And should I fast? Thanks guys and sorry for questions x

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok. So I’ve been to the gp who are going to do bloods again. They’ve told me to book in. What time is better to book in? Ie: morning? Afternoon? And should I fast? Thanks guys and sorry for questions x

I would book an early morning one and just have water after your evening meal the previous day. Fasting isn’t necessary for the HbA1c but is relevant if cholesterol levels particularly triglycerides are checked.