Full Carbs Or Net Carbs?

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all have been reducing my carb intake over past few weeks, I'm now well under 10gms a day. I see that some people quote full carbs and others net carbs. What is the best to look at? :)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In the UK we work with total carbs as fibre is listed separately. In the USA fiber ( note the difference in spelling) is included in with the carbs, so needs to be deducted to get net carbs. So: UK total carbs = USA net carbs...

Fibre tends not to cause any rise in glucose levels like other types of carbs generally do, so this is why we treat it this way.

If you look at official/commecial nutritional infornation or labelling then if carbs and fibre are listed separately you need do nothing, and if it's included in with carbs, then deduct it.

But you need to take some care if you see information from sources where the information is added by users, e.g. My Fitness Pal, as how the carb content is given because in some cases it could make a very big difference!

Robbity

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Labels.png

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi thanks for the reply's. I had been going with UK total carbs but had seen a couple of posts about low carbs and they had added the net carbs as well. :)

Bingale1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @Robbity and @Mr_Pot. At the risk of sounding daft can you explain the ‘of which sugars’ part to me. I recently bought something that had 0.2g sugar on the front of the label but 9g total carbs on the back... what should I be counting?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Robbity and @Mr_Pot. At the risk of sounding daft can you explain the ‘of which sugars’ part to me. I recently bought something that had 0.2g sugar on the front of the label but 9g total carbs on the back... what should I be counting?
Just ignore the ‘of which sugars’ it’s already included in the carb count :)

Reactions: Bingale1

Bingale1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks Rachox. Do you know what the significance of that figure is? I wonder why they put it on the front instead of the carb count (which would obviously be more useful).

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Rachox. Do you know what the significance of that figure is? I wonder why they put it on the front instead of the carb count (which would obviously be more useful).

I have no clue why the carb count isn’t in a more prominent place! Carb count is obviously more important for us diabetics.

Reactions: Bingale1

Bingale1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have no clue why the carb count isn’t in a more prominent place! Carb count is obviously more important for us diabetics.

Thank you again. I feel I should know more by now but the whole carbs/ sugars thing confounds me so I just go for the total carbs to be on the safe side. Thanks so much for your responses.

Reactions: Rachox

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Sugar is a carb and other foodstuffs have carbs in them e.g cereals, fruit etc. The manufacturers want to keep the 'sugar' part of the labelling (be that in the traffic lights or in the 'of which sugars' part of the info) sounding low so as not to scare off paying customers. Anyone who realises that it makes no difference what name you give something, a carb is a carb, will shy away from a high carb foodstuff but if you are unaware that all carbohydrates are converted to glucose in the body then you may only look at the traffic lights/of which sugars part and judge a particular foodstuff to be healthy. It's a bit of a con, really.