Full Mouth Extraction And Insulin?

Alex_B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know if I am posting in the right place, but on 3rd October I am having all my teeth removed, healing time is 3 months. I won't be able to eat solid food as the new dentist is refusing to give me immediate dentures, which I was promised! I know I can have liquids and soft foods, I have my list ready for a shop a week before it happens.

What I need to know is how I am suppose to do my insulin. I know I can probably still take it but can you still take it with liquids and soft food? Do I take my novorapid, or do I just take my Tresiba at night. I will be emailing my diabetes nurse on Monday for some advice but thought I would ask here first!

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What I need to know is how I am suppose to do my insulin. I know I can probably still take it but can you still take it with liquids and soft food? Do I take my novorapid, or do I just take my Tresiba at night. I will be emailing my diabetes nurse on Monday for some advice but thought I would ask here first!

Do you normally carb count and adjust your insulin to go with the amount of carbs you eat, if so, just do the same - carbs in liquid/soft food are just the same as carbs in more solid food :)

D

Deleted member 308541

I won't be able to eat solid food as the new dentist is refusing to give me immediate dentures, which I was promised!
You need to get a better dentist, I had the rest of my top teeth (6½) out a few years back, and the top denture went straight in after the dentist plugged the gums.

I had to eat softish food for a week or so, till the gums healed.
@Rokaab I do not carb count unfortunately. I chose not to yet.
You had better start learning how to carb count if you stay with that dentist.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know if I am posting in the right place, but on 3rd October I am having all my teeth removed, healing time is 3 months. I won't be able to eat solid food as the new dentist is refusing to give me immediate dentures, which I was promised! I know I can have liquids and soft foods, I have my list ready for a shop a week before it happens.

Alex - It sounds like you're doing the right thing by contacting your diabetes team. I'm sure they'll have some guidance for you.

Rylando88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It depends what’s in the liquids/soft foods that you’ll be having, just treat them the same as solid foods. My diet is mainly soft at the moment as I have a lot of dental issues and I just do my insulin to suit whatever carbs/sugars are in whatever I’m having (usually yogurts or protein shakes or something similar). I don’t carb count I just rely on knowledge from years of patterns and experiences with foods etc so it’s definitely possible! Hope you manage to sort something out to make it easier for you!!
X

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I agree. You need assistance accessed by your diabetic team. Get them on board first. Don't get rushed into something your not medically prepared for. Dentist doesn't know what it's like to be you and your full diabetic needs.
Please get your diabetic team up to date before op/procedure. They can guide your insulin need throughout. You don't have to do this alone.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Take your bolus with the soft foods/drinks just as you would when following sick day rules.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Also, it's worth being aware that soft food/liquid food is generally absorbed more quickly than the stuff you have to chew, so glucose levels may climb more quickly after "eating".

A full mouth extraction is also significant surgery and likely to raise your glucose levels for some time after the operation as a stress response to the trauma.

Reactions: Struma