Funding for sensors

ZaraH83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I really want to get a sensor but the dexcom is £159 a month. Is there a way to get funding? Health insurance would be slightly cheaper but I checked Bupa and they won’t cover my diabetes. Does anyone already do this and how?? Tia

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
If you're in the UK then some T1s will get NHS funding for the libre, which is a bit cheaper than the dexcom... You can buy 3rd party add ons to make it give alarms. Be aware that the libre does not work for everyone and you should still do some blood tests when using it as some of the sensors are inaccurate (though Abbott do replace faulty sensors for free.)

ZaraH83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My mum who lives in Australia has said will send me some money which will pay for my first month and a bit more. So happy thank you for your replies

JD1313

Hi I have had diabetes for approx 30 years the G6 is the best thing that has happened to me medically since I was diagnosed. I cannot recommend it highly enough, I have been using it for a short while now & the positives are - it really does do what it says on the tin, real time continuous blood glucose monitoring - very easy to set up both the transmitter & the ap & very easy to use - the ap is very clear so you know where you are & the trending arrow is hugely helpful as i was never sure whether my blood sugar was going up or down on numerous occasions - apart from the background anxiety & preoccupation this caused - this ap tells me with an arrow whether it is stable or going down or up & also the rate of the trend giving me the ability to make the correct adjustments where needed. I am using less insulin as not over dosing or stacking - therefore i am losing some weight which is very helpful, am feeling much more stable & getting much better sleep . Before in my sleep on numerous occasions I would wake up when it was already very low at say 2.6 or 2.8 & feel completely disorientated & it would be very difficult to get on a level again without over dosing with carb & also wrecking my sleep & creating anxiety - now that doesn't happen full stop !! If i get near a hypo I have a loud alarm at 4.2 if the trend is downward & if that is still not adhered to another louder alarm at 3.1 which would wake the dead. This has meant for the first time in years I am getting really good sleep & much less hypos as my prior sleep level is adjusted. During the day I can keep tighter control & generally I am just relieved & delighted to have this hugely supportive tool. Each week it self emails me a report on my progress in terms of percentage within target range & why there was any deviation - ie rebound hypos & makes treatment advice. I love this well thought out device & importantly the reliablity of supply of sensors is excellent which was a very important factor when i considered this against other cgm devices along with the alarms which are essential & so helpful for me According to the government minister Steve Brine who reported to a question on availability of cgms in Parliament two days ago " Clinical commissioning groups (CCGs) can purchase any available blood glucose monitoring which has been approved for sale on the open market. The availability of AccuChek Expert, Dexcom G6 and Eversense roducts is a matter for CCGs who are primarily responsible for commissioningdiabetesservices, to meet the requirements of their population. In doing so, they need to ensure that the services they provide are fit for purpose, reflect the needs of the local population, are based on the available evidence and consider national guidelines. NHS England engages with technology companies developing products that may be of significant benefit to those with diabetes to seek to increase their availability to patients where appropriate." Currently some trusts are supplying CGMS these to patients - in London - Imperial College, Kings ,Guys & St Thomas etc some like my trust The Royal Free for some reason aren't - so I am having to self fund currently at £159 per month which i don't think is right at all as it is essential for me & I meet all the Nice criteria. I will update you on how I get on - but i really recommend this, it has truly changed my life.