Funny hypo moments (in retrospect)

Martina79

I havent been diagnosed yet but what i recently experienced on the days when i was on strict diet and didnt eat couple hours was hypo. i always start to feel cramps in my stomach first and then it gets worse and worse, then i have feeling like am going to vomit and problem with coordation, like i am loosing banace when i walk. is it hypo? ...i went shopping and when i wanted to pay i stand behind cash mashines where you r not allowed to stand and i dont know how long i waited there but then i realised what i am doing and (as i never experience this)i told myself there must be something wrong with me really. that day in another shop after i paid i left my whole shopping bad there and left:)

xAoifex

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If it was hypoglycaemia then it would seem unlikely that you were diabetic as it is high blood sugars not low that manifests itself.
Hypo's in diabetics is caused by medication used to control high blood sugars (like insulin)
However it could have been a number of other things including low blood pressure, dehydration etc.
Whatever the cause it's clearly not right and needs investigation

Martina79

Well then your Dr misleaded you because hypoglicemia means diabetes in most cases and i am surprised you dont know what that word means.
Hypoglycemia can occur rarely in patients without diabetes. These causes are beyond the scope of this discussion. In patients with diabetes, hypoglycemia is uncommon in those who are treated solely with lifestyle modifications. This means that the condition is typically caused by over-medicating. There is an admonition, though, in some patients with type 2 diabetes (who, by definition, have high circulating levels of insulin), a decrease in carbohydrate intake or problems with digesting foods may cause a mismatch in insulin, thereby leading to symptoms of hypoglycemia. Hypoglycemia is also rare in patients treated with certain drugs such as acarbose (Precose), metformin (Glucophage), rosiglitazone (Avandia), and pioglitazone (Actos). However, when these medicines are used in combination with drugs such as glyburide (Micronase, Diabeta, Glynase), or other drugs in the family of sulfonylurea and meglitinides [repaglinide (Prandin), nateglinide (Starlix)], hypoglycemia may occur. Hypoglycemia may also occur when sulfonylurea agents or meglitinides are used on their own, with the risk being higher in sulfonylurea agents

source taken from Medicinenet.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I for one don't trust any diagnostic tool from the Internet.

I have 2 friends diagnosed with bouts of hypoglycaemia. They are NOT diabetic, and neither doctor has said they are. Both are female, healthy weight. One has slightly low BP but that is common for your slim females. The hypoglycaemia can appear quickly if they haven't eaten, and a small biscuit sorts them out. Left to their own devices their liver would dump glucose, but the process is unpleasant.

As a type 1, if I'm having a hypo even a glucose dump from the liver could not be enough to help. It depends on how much active insulin I have on board. It is NEVER suggested for a T1 to ignore hypoglycaemia.

The treatments are different. Hypoglycaemia is not an indicator of diabetes. It DOES show that something else could be wrong though and you should get it seen to :)

Sarahfergo

I once had a hypo and walked to the fish shop ordered my food went out side with food salt and pepper and the lady came out shouting at me so I flung it all on the floor then wobbled back to work then sat in the staff room in a daze while my colleagues kept saying are you ok etc and the manager took me home and I had her driving round in circles lol as she didn't know where I lived!! Could have been worse but funny to look back at haha

kezz01489

Dislikes
Judgemental people, everyone is entitled to their opinion but when people don't listen they will never learn. I know that cause that's how I used to be.
My best has got to be staying with my in-laws while hubby was away and sitting watching a crime programme with father in law when I went into the kitchen and sat at the table twiddling a 20p piece in my fingers. I was sure that Alan (in law )was going to murder me. I kept saying to myself , any minute now. Then at 12 pm mum in law came home and gave me some sweet tea. I was paranoid but couldn't stop laughing at what had happened. I finally managed to stop laughing to tell Alan, and still haven't lived it down to this day. Xxxxxxx

Reactions: 2 people

sarah88

Just yesterday I was talking to my OH whilst having a hypo and told him that the 'cheese needed putting in the porcupine...' Apparently porcupine meant fridge?!
I've forget the names of things all the time when I'm low, frustrating for me at the time but hilarious when I'm told about the replacement words after! :)

Reactions: 4 people

blinddate

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have had so many hypos it's amazing I'm not brain damaged. My partner has rolled me into hotels out of taxis, I've had them going through security while getting on a plane, not to mention the time I told my partner that I never get colds because I drink so much orange juice. I have had readings below 1 and then I get the swing effect and it goes high 20s. One week we spent 6 nights in a hotle in Tourkey and the paramedics were called out 7 times. I have been diabetic for over 50 years and things never seem to improve but my Hb1Ac is between 5 and 6 so my control is reasonably good.

jedwar

WHO'S A PRETTY BOY THEN!

my most memorable hypo of which I've had a few over the last 35 years was coming downstairs in the middle of the night looking for food and standing shovelling budgie seed into my mouth from a bowl on the kitchen worktop ,after a fair few mouthfuls It must have done the trick as I realised what I was doing .......TWEET TWEET.....

tettenhall boy

I find this topic informative, but don't recall any hyperglycaeimic instances as funny. I'm sorry, but it is deadly serious. I nearly died on Boxing Day 3 years ago. Luckily my wife and girls are first aiders. I count myself lucky.

M x

Sarahfergo

We all know they are dangerous but at the end of the day there is no point in being miserable about it, it's good we can have a giggle about it! I've nearly died before and I don't find stuff like that funny it's more the silly things we do having the horrible hypos!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Marfmama said:
Izzy you passed out at 2.7? This worries me - I suppose it is different for everyone? I have been 2.5 before and walked to the shop with my son to get myself something sugary!

Yeah, I feel awful at 2. anything but a couple of times I have been 1.4 and not yet passed out

benjygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
disrespectful people
I was making a cup of tea and poured the boiling water into the tea bag container, then tried poring it into the cup. When I tested I was 2.1 but unfortunately I had no hypo awareness other than doing something stupid !!

benjygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
disrespectful people
I'm at it again. I had a hypo of 3.3 and was feeling slightly weird, when I came to I found that I had eaten half a packet of the cats treats. Very tasty they were too !!

BiskeySmudge

I don't think it's as funny as some of the others, but I remember once I was playing this board game and I could not for the life of me count to three. I had to move on three spaces, but I couldn't quite figure out how many that was. At first I only moved on one, then four and I just couldn't do it

Nottslad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel gutted now I haven't done anything like you guys!
I've gone down to 1.1 lowest and that was cold sweating and wobbling everywhere...
But never doing the stuff you lot do...
My fiancée must think im right boring after reading this!!!

norwaycook

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
people who make a big deal out of beIng a diabetic
We were away on holiday staying in a caravan many years back and I had a hypo and was singing "Be my guest" from the Walt Disney movie Beauty and the Beast and dancing round the caravan. I still get ribbed about that 16 years later on. Lol

lizzibuzz

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
I was visiting my parents and staying in my old room where I had not been for some time. One night I had a hypo, my parents told me that they had heard me talk aloud, so they came to see if I was ok. Apparantly I was in the process of lifting a window box with flowers onto my bed, talking to the flowers: `'Oh, aren't you beautiful, I have never seen you here before, let me take you inside, you must be cold' I am not sure if I intended to take the flowers in the window box to bed with me...my parents intervened, thankfully.

Quite something, that!