G5 CGM mobile compatibility

Just_Me_Rachel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Fish
Hi all, I'm new to this forum - but not to diabetes! I'm wondering if someone can advise me. I'm looking into purchasing the Dexcom G5, however, I have the Motorola phone which does not seem compatible. Does someone know why it is not compatible as it seems to have the right specs for compatibility and if it's possible to get around it somehow? Are there legal problems involved with this?
Also, it seems like I can download the follow app - if I'd purchase the receiver, how could I connect the receiver to the follow app without getting an invite?

Advise appreciated!
Thanks

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, I'm new to this forum - but not to diabetes! I'm wondering if someone can advise me. I'm looking into purchasing the Dexcom G5, however, I have the Motorola phone which does not seem compatible. Does someone know why it is not compatible as it seems to have the right specs for compatibility and if it's possible to get around it somehow? Are there legal problems involved with this?
Also, it seems like I can download the follow app - if I'd purchase the receiver, how could I connect the receiver to the follow app without getting an invite?

Advise appreciated!
Thanks
What is the exact model of your phone?

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's extremely difficult to get a medical device approved and even more difficult to get one approved that transmits personal health data.

Here in the USA there are HIPAA laws that delay things like this from getting approved.

Furthermore, while the app may seem simple there is a ton that goes into the UX/IX of creating something like that.

The iPhone family is limited to about ~10 different versions whereas there are literally thousands of Android based models. Android phones are also notorious for having security issues (which can be a good thing if you want to root/hack your phone intentionally).

Short answer: your best bet is to either switch to an iPhone or hack your Dexcom system using Nightscount to get around comparability issues.

iHs

I have an old Moto G xt1032 that was updated to android 5.1 and xDrip G5 beta was installed. I don't use Nightscout as zi don't want to share my data with anyone except my smartwatch which xdrip does very well. I'm very happy with it all.

I'm going to tag @CapnGrumpy to get his feedback to see if there is a reason for your phone not to work ok

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The Android version of the Dexcom G5 software is now available in the UK (but not the USA yet) and will have been tested with a limited number of phones. As far as I can see, if you're phone's not on the list, then you can't download the app. I've not seen a way round that yet. There is an open source app called xDrip+ which runs on Android, but it seems that different phones require different settings to be used and some phones just don't work at all and it's because the manufacturers all implement the Android operating system slightly differently and this affects Bluetooth connectivity.

As far as Follow goes, you can put that on any phone. You don't need a receiver for this - the 'Follow' option is set up in the G5 app and the invitation sent from there.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Advise appreciated!
Thanks

The receiver doesn't send to the share app. To have readings sent to share you need your iPhone [or compatible android phone]to be your receiver and then that sends readings out.

I'm sure there are work arounds with xdrip etc but for bog standard G5 stuff, you need the dexcom app to be being your receiver. If your phone won't support the dexcom app then you you'll need to look at a different phone that will.