GAD antibodies have gone down

TypeZero.

I’m just wondering what this actually means. Does this mean my B cells have nearly all died or does it mean my immune system is developing tolerance towards my B cells.

Around 3.5-4 months ago when first diagnosed my C peptide was 113 and GAD antibodies 713 units/mL.

Recent blood tests suggest a C peptide of 90 and GAD antibodies of 340 units/mL.

There isn’t much difference in my C peptide but my GAD antibodies have decreased more than 50%. Just wondering what this could mean on the science side of things.

I appreciate that many of you were diagnosed decades ago when a C peptide or antibody tests wouldn’t have existed.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Why have they redone the anti GAD test? A positive result with impaired blood glucose equals T1, what did they want to learn with the second test?

TypeZero.

Why have they redone the anti GAD test? A positive result with impaired blood glucose equals T1, what did they want to learn with the second test?

I got it done privately abroad as originally the NHS said I was positive for islet cell antibodies but didn’t have a numerical value for it and I wasn’t satisfied (denial) so I got it redone and obviously thought why not have a C peptide and GAD antibody done again and my GAD has gone down tremendously

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
340 s still a very big number. It comes down as beta cell mass declines and eventually goes to zero after perhaps 30 years. People who still make c-peptide still have some antibodies.