GAD antibodies

Jok11

So speaking to dietician today who was looking at my results. Said “oh they have found GAD Antibodies, but it’s inclusive, did they do a zinc one?” Anyone shed any light?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I really wouldn’t have a clue, but hoping some of our more knowledgeable members regarding T1.5 / LADA Diabetes can help.
@Jaylee, @Antje77 , @EllieM?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hmm thanks for the tag @Pipp. Not really my area but a quick google suggests

Zinc Transporter 8 Antibodies Complement GAD and IA-2 Antibodies in the Identification and Characterization of Adult-Onset Autoimmune Diabetes​

Now I'm not sure what she means by the "inclusive" though. Have your diabetes team said anything to you about the results @Jok11 ? I'd hope that if you are positive for GAD autoantibodies and have a LADA diagnosis a consultant/doctor would give you the diagnosis. (I'll stress the "if" here, you need a doctor to interpret whatever results you have.)

Reactions: Jok11 and Rowgirl

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
No interpretation of results so far, started on insulin last Friday, basal and bolus and what a difference! I feel like an enchantment has been lifted. Brighter, sharper oh my goodness 100% better.
Excellent news that you are feeling better but it's worth pushing for an official diagnosis. If you have a T1 diagnosis then you will qualify for diabetic goodies such as cgms.... (Of course, T2s can go on onsulin too, so I'm not diagnosing, just saying that you should see if you can get someone to confirm whether this is T1 or T2)

Jok11

They are very short staffed at the Hospital I go to, so I think it will be a while. I will push for a diagnosis though, thanks for that, they did get a CGM out when I was there and say once my blood glucose is controlled I can have one. I bought my own as well, in case that doesn’t happen.

Reactions: EllieM