1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

GAD results received omg!

Discussion in 'Type 1.5/LADA Diabetes' started by GuidingSenses, Apr 7, 2020.

1. GuidingSenses

GuidingSenses · Well-Known Member

One week in to my new insulin regime. Nurse rang with weekly catch up and GAD results saying normal is 0-5 and I am 2000!! I’m like jeez! So I’m definitely T1 at age of 58 and insulin dependent. However she didn’t explain what that high GAD means?

2. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

It doesn't make much of a difference, as far as medical science knows at the moment. The important part is positive or negative, and being clearly positive you have a clear diagnosis now.

How do you feel about it?

• Like Like x 1
  3. h884

h884 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi GuidingSenses

I know the feeling I got my GAD results just over a year ago. Mine were over 750. I am a few years older than you. I was shocked but in some ways but as Anjte77 commented it gave a clear diagnosis.

Give it time to sink in.

Take care

• Like Like x 1
  4. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

A high GAD just means that you have GAD antibodies present and they will have destroyed your beta cells hence no insulin.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GuidingSenses

GuidingSenses · Well-Known Member

Thanks for this. It’s not sunk in really yet pleased it’s black and white now. If I can manage it and not put on any more weight (as I had lost 3 stone) yet I’ve put on 7 pounds this last week.
    So I’m not producing insulin suddenly at this age? I got diagnosed coeliac only 2 years ago too and the nurse said a traumatic experience can bring these auto immune disorders out! Yes I lost mum a few years ago so that could be the trauma. Anyone else had similar?

6. Waterfall 888

Waterfall 888 LADA · Well-Known Member

That's interesting. The nurse asked me the same thing. I also lost my mum 3 years ago so that could be a trigger. I think the menopause was another factor. Good luck on your journey and be kind to yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Swillbos

Swillbos LADA · Member

Welcome to the club! I was re-diagnosed as LADA last year at the age of 57, this was after seven years thinking I was type 2: islet cells positive for antibodies, GAD>2,000, HBA1c of 107. My consultant told me this very high level of GAD is often associated with autoimmune disease, in my case longstanding thyroid disease. No particular trauma in my case that I can think of though

• Like Like x 1
  8. h884

h884 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

For me I have 3 other long standing autoimmune conditions and a family history of Type 1. No particular stressful event that I am aware of.

Hope you are slowly getting used to your new routines

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sgathach

Sgathach LADA · Well-Known Member

Recently diagnosed at 33 too, completely fit and healthy before, no specifically traumatising event - seems to just happen sometimes.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Note that LADA can be caused by viruses as well as inherent autoimmune conditions. I suspect that was the cause of my beta cell loss and I know a colleague who had a virus affecting the liver which triggered pancreatic problems. This is one reason why many LADAs have a negative GAD as that isn't necessarily the cause.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Circuspony

Circuspony Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I was 43. No other autoimmune conditions and none in the family. I did a session with a nurse who was running a trial on genetic indicators and had to answer a questionnaire about illnesses I'd had in recent years - nothing more than a cold. Also no traumatic events. So a bit of a mystery really.

My hba1c on diagnosis was 147 and GAD antibodies were around your level. 3 years later and my pancreas is still occasionally spluttering into life and I get the odd week where I have to dial back massively on my insulin requirements.

Apparently its getting a lot more common in adults >40 but no one really understands why.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

I think it has always been fairly common in adults but GPs automatically labelled it T2 as mine did. It's only fairly recently that the two tests GAD and C-Peptide have been available anyway so people like me are called 'slim-T2s'. I did have a C-peptide done privately so I know my insulin is low.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook