GAD results received omg!

GuidingSenses

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
One week in to my new insulin regime. Nurse rang with weekly catch up and GAD results saying normal is 0-5 and I am 2000!! I’m like jeez! So I’m definitely T1 at age of 58 and insulin dependent. However she didn’t explain what that high GAD means?

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi GuidingSenses

I know the feeling I got my GAD results just over a year ago. Mine were over 750. I am a few years older than you. I was shocked but in some ways but as Anjte77 commented it gave a clear diagnosis.

Give it time to sink in.

Take care

Reactions: GuidingSenses

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
A high GAD just means that you have GAD antibodies present and they will have destroyed your beta cells hence no insulin.

GuidingSenses

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for this. It’s not sunk in really yet pleased it’s black and white now. If I can manage it and not put on any more weight (as I had lost 3 stone) yet I’ve put on 7 pounds this last week.
So I’m not producing insulin suddenly at this age? I got diagnosed coeliac only 2 years ago too and the nurse said a traumatic experience can bring these auto immune disorders out! Yes I lost mum a few years ago so that could be the trauma. Anyone else had similar?

Waterfall 888

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for this. It’s not sunk in really yet pleased it’s black and white now. If I can manage it and not put on any more weight (as I had lost 3 stone) yet I’ve put on 7 pounds this last week.
So I’m not producing insulin suddenly at this age? I got diagnosed coeliac only 2 years ago too and the nurse said a traumatic experience can bring these auto immune disorders out! Yes I lost mum a few years ago so that could be the trauma. Anyone else had similar?
That's interesting. The nurse asked me the same thing. I also lost my mum 3 years ago so that could be a trigger. I think the menopause was another factor. Good luck on your journey and be kind to yourself.

Swillbos

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome to the club! I was re-diagnosed as LADA last year at the age of 57, this was after seven years thinking I was type 2: islet cells positive for antibodies, GAD>2,000, HBA1c of 107. My consultant told me this very high level of GAD is often associated with autoimmune disease, in my case longstanding thyroid disease. No particular trauma in my case that I can think of though

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For me I have 3 other long standing autoimmune conditions and a family history of Type 1. No particular stressful event that I am aware of.

Hope you are slowly getting used to your new routines

Sgathach

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Recently diagnosed at 33 too, completely fit and healthy before, no specifically traumatising event - seems to just happen sometimes.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Note that LADA can be caused by viruses as well as inherent autoimmune conditions. I suspect that was the cause of my beta cell loss and I know a colleague who had a virus affecting the liver which triggered pancreatic problems. This is one reason why many LADAs have a negative GAD as that isn't necessarily the cause.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was 43. No other autoimmune conditions and none in the family. I did a session with a nurse who was running a trial on genetic indicators and had to answer a questionnaire about illnesses I'd had in recent years - nothing more than a cold. Also no traumatic events. So a bit of a mystery really.

My hba1c on diagnosis was 147 and GAD antibodies were around your level. 3 years later and my pancreas is still occasionally spluttering into life and I get the odd week where I have to dial back massively on my insulin requirements.

Apparently its getting a lot more common in adults >40 but no one really understands why.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was 43. No other autoimmune conditions and none in the family. I did a session with a nurse who was running a trial on genetic indicators and had to answer a questionnaire about illnesses I'd had in recent years - nothing more than a cold. Also no traumatic events. So a bit of a mystery really.

My hba1c on diagnosis was 147 and GAD antibodies were around your level. 3 years later and my pancreas is still occasionally spluttering into life and I get the odd week where I have to dial back massively on my insulin requirements.

Apparently its getting a lot more common in adults >40 but no one really understands why.
I think it has always been fairly common in adults but GPs automatically labelled it T2 as mine did. It's only fairly recently that the two tests GAD and C-Peptide have been available anyway so people like me are called 'slim-T2s'. I did have a C-peptide done privately so I know my insulin is low.

Millie74

My GAD was high, 1700. I am 44 years old and was diagnosed Type 2 in January 2019. I asked forcmore tests in November 2019 as at the time had lost 2 stone since diagnosis with a keto low carb diet and my hba1c was still 56 mmol then. I got my GAD result and new diagnosis in December. By then I had got my hba1c down to 45 mmol with diet, exercise and metformin. Know in honeymoon period though. I worry about the link with autoimmune diseases. Had thyroid tested and was ok, but consultant asked me about other family history of autoimmune disease like Rheumatoid arthritis, which my Nan had and was awful. I do appreciate we can’t worry about what we can’t control and hasn’t happened. I tell myself this!