Gardening problem Help required.

Thirsty

No it doesn't. Try spending eight hours a day with your gloves stinking of cat poo. At least you can wash your hands quickly...

And driving around with fried poo on your lawnmower's exhaust isn't much fun, either.

Thirsty

Oh, and speaking from experience, while glyphosate is excellent for killing perennial weeds, it takes weeks to work and you're still left with a load of dead weeds to clear. Catherine's problem is far more likely to involve annuals like bittercress and chickweed, which will happily thrive given the tiniest amount of soil. Residual herbicides such as propymazide can help to prevent weed seeds from germinating in the first place, but I've not found them to be terribly effective.

Thirsty

Another alternative, if you want to be green, is a decorator's steam wallpaper stripper. A waste of time if you've got problems with the real nasties like bindweed, mare's tail and Japanese knotweed, though. Only chemicals will get rid of them for good.

gefmayhem

Dislikes
salad
gillyh said:
Disgusting people are suggesting hurting cats...... Shame on all of you. Water guns are best as cats do not like to get wet. If you keep chasing them off some determined little b***** will go out of their way to **** in your garden just to prove a point. :|

Water guns only work if there is someone around all day with nothing better to do that man the gun turret
Bottle of water DO NOT work, it seemed to attract cats to my garden.
Sprays and powders from the garden centres that I tried did not work.

Cat **** is messy and cats do not neatly cover up their mess, theu cover up the latest one and uncover a few they dropped earlier.

I used carpet tacks, that worked and they rusted quickly so there was no chance of my young kids being hurt.

hmmm this started off as a fun post and ended as a rant.

I hate other peoples cats in my garden :evil:

Thirsty

Agreed, gefmayhem. Allow your dog to **** anywhere without clearing it up, and you're liable for a hefty fine; what makes cats so special? My considerate neighbours have trained their cats to use litter trays, and they don't cause me any problems.

Although I haven't tried them, you can buy ultrasonic devices which are supposed to deter cats, foxes and other unwanted visitors. Unfortunately, they also affect dogs which can hear the same frequencies, so they won't be suitable for everyone. Not too pricey, and the battery operated ones are easy to install; some of my customers reported good results, so they may be worth a go.

Trinkwasser

Thirsty said:
No it doesn't. Try spending eight hours a day with your gloves stinking of cat poo. At least you can wash your hands quickly...

Every time I bent down in the garden I smelled catsh!t. Little b*gger has gone *everywhere* I thought - until I realised I had trodden in one and the smell was emanating from my boot.

Trinkwasser

Thirsty said:
Another alternative, if you want to be green, is a decorator's steam wallpaper stripper. A waste of time if you've got problems with the real nasties like bindweed, mare's tail and Japanese knotweed, though. Only chemicals will get rid of them for good.

I had some success with horsetails using SBK Brushwood Killer. They ate up the glyphosate and begged for more.

Once we could buy sodium chlorate which was a good cheap long term treatment for paths and gravel, but if you tried to burn the dead weeds you'd end up with the world's fastest bonfire

vivkaroo

Dislikes
Grumpy people, being bored, Bad weather. smoking
WELL catherinecherub tried orange peel not a thing still came getting peed off now so hey off to wilkos bought some CAT REPELLENT 3.99 massive tub look like grit do a 2.25 one loads in big one tried it last year have bit of bad smell but hey presto it works no cats for 4 days was having it every day it works !!!! and as for person who has 6 cats i am glad i dont live next door to you personally i dont hate cats but i dont wanna have them in my garden if you want to keep that many they should do their mess in your garden you choose to have 6 i wont even put other peoples cat poo in my wheely bin why should i not my cats you go to wilkos hun try that stuff not harmfull to children but check pot just to make sure night hun xx and as for trinkwasser i dont know how you can :lol: about it dont think you funny :evil:

paganlass

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
nhs. religion for the sake of it.
i cant believe anyone would want to hurt cats ! you would love cats if your house and garden were full of rats!!
someone poisoned my cat and my son was distraught for weeks!
i think you should think about that before telling people how kill them thirsty :evil:
im appalled, im sorry i looked at this post now!
p.

Thirsty

Oh dear. Before I'm condemned as the Diabetic Cat Murderer...

You did read my post saying that my initial comments were tongue-in-cheek, didn't you?

Fortunately, my garden is not full of rats but, without some kind of deterrent, it is full of foul-smelling cat poo, which is a health hazard, and uprooted seedlings. The animals belong to other people, and I resent the mess and damage they cause. You like cats? Train them to use a litter tray or create a cat toilet in your own garden and train them to use that instead.

Not hard to understand, surely?

paganlass

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
nhs. religion for the sake of it.
i have had cats all my life and always had a garden and they have never done any harm to plants or seedlings. however i always turn my soil so my cats have somewhere to poo, the problem only arises when other cat owners dont create this area for there cats. if trained at an early age to use cat litter correctly then they will usually use there own garden to do there mess in. im sorry for people who dont have cats and they use there gardens i can understand the frustration but dog owners are not perfect either, my son stepped in, fell in, and slipped in dog dirt many times while going to school and playing in the nearby parks! and the constant barking by those left alone in yards all day doesnt help either! but i dont hate dogs! in fact i love all animals its the owners who create the problems.
as im sure you understand!
p.

sandymaynard

Hi paganlass
I have the same sort of problem, I own a cat myself, I have trained mycat to use a certain area of the garden. My problem is that a neighbour has a cat that smells something bad i mean real bad! The neighbour smells themself!
I don't hate cats never have but this cat is pushing me! It comes into my garden poo's all over the path on my doorstep, rips my plants up! I wont allow my cat out!
As this cat fights with my cat and i have had to pay high price to get my cat sorted out!
I used to own dogs as well! I used to breed boxer's! There are some owners who should not have animal's! I havenot seen anyone here on this thread say that they dislike cats they say that they don't like what the cat is doing!
I can only say that no one here is into animal cruelity but how would you cope with another cat coming into your garden and ripping things up and putting all your hard work to waste! What about if your cats were attacked by someone else cat? how would you cope!

Thirsty

More reasons to hate cats...

I, like many others, am allergic to them. One whiff of a cat hair and it's time to dig out the asthma inhaler, swallow antihistamines, run to the pharmacy for a jar of Optrex, (assuming that you can breathe well enough ), and buy a bottle of Eurax lotion to relieve the itching.

Once upon a time, we used to enjoy the sweet songs of birds in our garden. Sadly, they have now all been eaten.

Insomnia. One of our local cats somehow manages to wail its way through every single minute of darkness.

That thing they do when they're being stroked and then suddenly wrap their front legs around your arm, stick their fangs and claws into your flesh and attempt to disembowel you with their rear legs.

Cats are horrible creatures.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Oh dear you have had a bad experience with cats ,Thirsty.They are beautiful creatures really.My cat never hunted so all the birds came to our garden as they never got bothered there.

Thirsty

Bad experience?

You don't even want to think about what happens when you hit a cat turd with a petrol powered strimmer.

:cry:

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
What? woman with strimmer or woman with mouth shut?? :lol: :lol: :lol: