Garlic tablets

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Pizza (makes my BG go through the roof), Pasta & potatoes.
Hi Reikman.

I've been taking a garlic tablet alongwith a multi vitimin and cod liver oil for about 6 months. These, coupled with a healthy diet and excercise have helped me get my BG right under control.

My thoughts are - why not do all that i can to get my BG and health under control. I am also running around 20 miles per week and generally never felt better.

Good luck

Carl

jaykay

My husband used to joke that I put garlic in everything, including the chocolate cake, so eating lots and lots of garlic certainly didn't stop me getting T2. Then again I suppose, who knows what would have happened if I had never eaten garlic so I guess I'd say if it works go for it, it's not going to hurt.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I have been taking garlic tablets for a few months now (2400 mg per day). I take them to reduce blood pressure and cholesterol (both much too high in my case and I already take maximum doses of medication for both of them) and also to increase my immunity.

I didn't know about the effect on BG's and can't say I have noticed a difference as my BG's are slightly higher recently although my last HbA1c was the same as the one before. But would they have been even higher without the garlic - I can't tell as I don't know what they would have been without them :!:

Basically I can't say if they work or not :?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Reikiman said:
Hi.
Has anyone had good results taking garlic tablets to lower blood sugars.

I have taken a one-a-day garlic tablet for 21 years after reading of the benefits to cardio health, not quite sure that they lower bg but they are supposedly beneficial in reducing blood pressure and cholesterol levels, both mine are well within the recommended guidelines so they may be some truth in this! :D

Nigel

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
noblehead said:
I have taken a one-a-day garlic tablet for 21 years after reading of the benefits to cardio health, not quite sure that they lower bg but they are supposedly beneficial in reducing blood pressure and cholesterol levels, both mine are well within the recommended guidelines so they may be some truth in this! :D

Nigel - what dosage are you taking (in Mg)? I am not sure that I am taking a large enough dose to have the effects I was expecting. :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I take just 1 garlic tableta day, although it is recommended to take 2 of the brand that I buy. I have taken vitamin and mineral supplements without honestly knowing if they have made an improvement to my health. I honestly do not like to stop incase something bad happens!!!!!

I was a bit of a horrific type 1 diabetic for a good few years but even then I took supplements, and I honestly think that something must have stopped me having all the secondary complications that can occur from diabetics not looking after their bloods. After 25 years, I have only had diagnosis of mild background retinopathy in one eye so far, and because I have taken supplements for so long and without getting any other complications I do two things...1) thank my lucky stars, and 2) keep taking the supplements...however what suits one, won't suit another!!!!!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
daisy1 said:
Nigel - what dosage are you taking (in Mg)? I am not sure that I am taking a large enough dose to have the effects I was expecting. :)

daisy, I take the Kwai one-a day and they contain 300mg of dried powder per tablet. I also like to add fresh garlic to stews, Shepard's pie's and curry's; as a treat take a bulb of garlic and pour extra virgin olive over and bake in the oven, the cloves taste sweet this way but don't go out afterwards whatever you do! :wink:

Nigel

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Thanks Nigel. :) My tablets contain 1200 mg but don't seem to have much effect. Perhaps I should change makes. I also love garlic in food. Especially cheese fondue :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
daisy,

Its more to do with the allicin content of the tablet as this is what helps lower bp and cholesterol levels, some manufacturing and cooking processes destroy this or reduce the potency, seemingly Kwai overcome this and guarantee that each tablet contains 3600mcg of allicin.

Nigel

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Thanks Nigel. :) I didn't know that. I will have to get some Kwai tablets if they do mail order.
The trouble is that I over-ordered my other ones by mistake so I've got a lot to use up. I hate
throwing things away. But this probably means the allicin content is low anyway so I need to
take more than I've been taking at the moment. If I can find out the contents...

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
My tablets contain 2 mg of allicin each so I'm going to double my dose and hope to see some effects soon :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
daisy1 said:
My tablets contain 2 mg of allicin each so I'm going to double my dose and hope to see some effects soon :)

One way of getting through that batch daisy! :lol:

Nigel

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
noblehead said:
Nigel

I find it's so easy to do it wrong when I am ordering on line. :? I pressed a button twice instead of once and got six boxes of 180 tablets each :oops: Having discovered the allicin content is reasonable I will probably continue with the same ones after all. :shock:

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
daisy1 said:
noblehead said:
Nigel
I find it's so easy to do it wrong when I am ordering on line. :? I pressed a button twice instead of once and got six boxes of 180 tablets each :oops:

Anyone care to help me out by calculating if I take 2 a day, when will I need to order some
more :?: :roll:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
daisy1 said:
daisy1 said:
noblehead said:
Nigel
I find it's so easy to do it wrong when I am ordering on line. :? I pressed a button twice instead of once and got six boxes of 180 tablets each :oops:

Anyone care to help me out by calculating if I take 2 a day, when will I need to order some
more :?: :roll:

daisy, you said earlier that your garlic tabs contain 2mg of allicin, this equates to 2000mcg so isn't to far behind the dose that I take (3600) but you would need to take one more to be on a similar dose. Does the box/container not say what the safe max dose is, some do say if they are one-a-day and others suggest one to be taken 3 times a day, don't take more than the recommended limit what ever you do without first checking.

Nigel

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Nigel :) - the manufacturers of my garlic pills recommend one tablet a day but that doesn't seem to have any effect. So, seeing the dose recommended by your people, and bearing in mind my tablets only contain 2mg of allicin, I decided to believe them instead and started taking two tablets. I hope that should be OK, especially as it's a rather innocuous substance (at least I think it is since I have never seen a warning about eating too much garlic - apart from breath freshness that is :shock: ). Do you agree with what I am doing?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
daisy1 said:
Do you agree with what I am doing?

I'm afraid I can't answer that daisy and only you can decide, should you have any doubts then you could always ask your pharmacist for his opinion.

Nigel