Jotter84

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Eating fish , only eat Cod!
Afternoon,

Got diagnosed two weeks ago that I was type 2. A little overwhelming to be honest with it all as there is so much information out there and try to understand what is happening to my body.
I don't have a testing kit so don't know what effects me and what's good.
My GP has referred me to the endocrinologist but waiting to hear from them for an appointment so in limbo really.
GP has stuck me on Metformin 3 tablets a day with a meal plus I have Gout due to diabetes.

My GP suspect that when we look back that the signs have been there for two years but we both just put it down to day to day living as I'm a shift working and had an active job.
My initial test showed 12.7 for blood sugar levels on a 14 hour fast I dropped to 9, but as I say in limbo and I'm not due to see my GP till 11th again for an update.

Reactions: 4 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@Jotter84 - Hello and Welcome to the Forum. :) I will tag @daisy1 who will provide you with some basic information. Have a read and ask any questions. You may want to think about about getting a meter, it's an important piece of equipment for a Diabetic. :)

Reactions: 2 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Jotter84 - Hello again Gary. You might want to have a read on this site:
www.symptomfind.com/nutrition-supplements/gout-foods-to-avoid
It's a bit of a shock at first being given the diagnoses of Diabetes, just take one day at a time and in your own stride - you will learn as you go along. Drink plenty of water and sugar free liquids the more water the better. Metformin is not suited to everybody, so if you develope stomach and/or bowel problems - don't suffer go back to your GP and ask for the Slow Release Metformin that is better tolerated. SD Codefree Blood Glucose Meter test strips are the cheapest, here is the link:
http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/
Any questions you have? Just ask - other members will be along to Welcome you with advice/support, we are all a friendly lot on here:)

Last edited by a moderator:

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @Jotter84 and welcome. This is a great website full of knowledgeable people based on first hand experience. I am a fellow gout sufferer. Have a look around the threads and don't hesitate to ask questions:)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Jotter84

Hello Gary and welcome to the forum :) Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

LOW CARB PROGRAM:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/low carb program

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Reactions: 5 people

bugs1952

Hi Gary. My hubby was diagnosed about a month ago and we left the doctors with no information at all, just for him to have another blood test in 3 months to see if he needs meds. I telephoned and told them that I needed some info as we were trying to deal with this blind. I was told to pick up a leaflet from them which helped us understand what diabetes is, but not much help otherwise. I found this forum, but to be honest, so much info was overwhelming and difficult to take in.. Luckily, we got an appointment with our practise nurse and she explained things and gave him a monitor, so he now uses it before and 2 hours after every meal. With that basic information, the info on here makes much more sense. Good luck.

Reactions: 5 people

david1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome aboard Gary. Seems to me that your next step should be getting yourself a meter so that you can start testing and see how what you're eating is affecting your blood sugar levels.

Good luck!

Reactions: 3 people

Jotter84

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thank you all. I am awaiting an appointment to see the endocrinologist but back at the GP on the 11th of this month so will talk to him more in depth then. In mean time think a phone call to them is need to find out about the monitoring kit.
I have been told I should get a monitoring kit but will buy one if I have to as can't monitor my levels. So frustrating lol.
I had done most of my research online and have a little understanding just the diet side of stuff alone is overwhelming. Just guess like most things takes time to learn and adjust. Just a pain as went form an active job on my feet for 6-8 hours out of a 10 hour shift to sitting at a desk for 12 hours on shifts. Guess it's back to the gym for me.
I wouldn't mind I was told I'm not obese just a little overweight for someone of my age (31) (need to get from 13 Stone down to 11stone) have good lung capacity and a decent BMI so it has come as a shock but makes sense long term for the last two years.

Jotter84

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Jotter84 - Hello again Gary. You might want to have a read on this site:
www.symptomfind.com/nutrition-supplements/gout-foods-to-avoid
It's a bit of a shock at first being given the diagnoses of Diabetes, just take one day at a time and in your own stride - you will learn as you go along. Drink plenty of water and sugar free liquids the more water the better. Metformin is not suited to everybody, so if you develope stomach and/or bowel problems - don't suffer go back to your GP and ask for the Slow Release Metformin that is better tolerated. SD Codefree Blood Glucose Meter test strips are the cheapest, here is the link:
http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/
Any questions you have? Just ask - other members will be along to Welcome you with advice/support, we are all a friendly lot on here:)
Hi Liam, thank you for this. Funny enough some of the foods for Gout I have started to include in my diet and take bits out so good too seem I'm on the right track.
The kit link has two kit measurements styles, do you know or recommend what is the better test style for levels?
Many thanks.

Jotter84

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Jotter84

Hello Gary and welcome to the forum :) Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

LOW CARB PROGRAM:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/low carb program

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Thank you Daisy, very informative. In fact more information then I have had from anyone so it helps to have a better understanding.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Jotter84 - Hello again. If you can get a Blood Glucose Meter provided from the Surgery, then that is brilliant - with being on medication (Metformin) for treating Diabetes you are exempt from prescription charges and you need to ask your GP or Diabetes Nurse to fill out a form for your exemption. Don't say you are prepared to buy a meter, push to get one provided. It might be a good idea to make a list of things you want to say at your appointment on the 11th with your GP. :)

Jotter84

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I was just reading about the kit and the questions on the threads from daisy's link so will sit down and have a think. Thank you for this as I say appriacte it. Learnt more today then I have in two weeks from just joining.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ah OK, will push them then never know my luck. Thank you.

If you get the meter you'll also get the strips and Lancets too. If you don't get the meter? There is a good offer on Amazon for £25.97 post free and it includes: a Codefree Meter, 50 test strips and 100 lancets - I have the link if you should need it. Let me know how you get on after your appointment on 11th. :)

Jotter84

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cheers. I will keep you update

Jotter84

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well went and saw my GP he has told me that my diabetes is genetic not a life style issue, which in a way is a sigh of relief as strange as it seems (it is in my family but was my great Grandad who had it)
Asked for a kit and he has told me not at the moment as he wants me to do regular blood test at the hospital on a monthly basis....is this a good thing? He said my levels are low so he is happy that the medication is more then likely controlling it but as I say another trip to hospital.
He has now said even tho my blood pressure was up which he even agreed could by anxity in seeing him he wants to put me on a low dose of blood pressure tablets stating this will help me in the long run plus he has also given me cholesterol tablets, even tho mine is fine again saying wants to help me out in the long run, got to stay on Metformin as well.....all this will be free on my medical exception card and is repeat prescription.
Still awaiting to hear from the endocrinologist and he said that will be in touch in due course.
He has also said I will get a free eye test which photography behind my eyes to keep and eye on my eyes. I will get to see the nurse once a year for my feet plus now get the flu jab and neumonia jab for free. He was quite good to be fair and said he wants to see me monthly at the moment and he will monitor me that way, any changes got to call him.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Jotter84 - Hi Gary, so it was fairly productive your visit to your GP today. Did he tell you what your cholesterol number was? Being on Metformin makes you exempt from all prescription charges. The eye test is a Retinal Screening which is photographs to check the insides and back of your eyes. Oh, you never got issued with a blood glucose meter!!! Maybe wait to see what the results from the Endocrinologist are. Thanks for updating us on the Forum. Go over to Type 2 Life and post questions there are a lot more members on that thread.:)

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hello there I was just wondering if every one else had been refered to an endocrinologist with their diabetes because I have not,,,just seen the practise nurse at the Doctors surgery...hope you enjoy the forums as much as I do :p

Jotter84

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hello there I was just wondering if every one else had been refered to an endocrinologist with their diabetes because I have not,,,just seen the practise nurse at the Doctors surgery...hope you enjoy the forums as much as I do
My GP done that referral straight away for me, prehaps ask them. As I have said I'm quite lucky I guess as my GP is doing a fair bit for me.
The forums are great I used it to funny enough as my GP some questions that I had seen pop up whilst looking through plus the knowledge of us who are going through it helps greatly as it takes a lot of the guessing game out of it.