Gastric band

juliekem

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Last Saturday I had a gastric band fitted privately because I was unable (after years of trying) to lose weight or to get my blood glucose readings down to below about 7. Low carbing simply didn't work for me - I was unable to fast for any length of time due to the horrendous migraines that occurred whenever I tried to go for one day on fluids alone.

Has anyone else gone down this route - I feel very alone at the moment and also a failure as I simply could not lose weight by the diet doctor,s low carb high fat approach - my hunger always got the better of me.

I have type 2 diabetes and had a BMI of 35 with high blood pressure and high triglycerides.

I really need to talk to others who have gone down this route - is there anyone else out there?

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Julie. I had a BMI of over 30 and found it very difficult to lose weight. This time last year I was trying to slim, but over four months had no luck. I did start losing weight when I was diagnosed T2 by cutting out fruit juice, bread, potatoes, rice, breakfast cereals, pasta etc. More recently I have stopped eating porridge and fruit other than strawberries and blueberries.

I know about the headaches with fasting. Last weekend I was just eating one meal a day and fasting in between. Saturday I felt fine, but Sunday evening I had a bit of a headache. I will try again this week, but maybe come out of the fast Sunday lunchtime.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @juliekem can I just say please don't feel a failure, as you put it. You're not a failure. And you've taken many steps in your journey, including the one on Saturday!

I'm afraid I can't advise as I haven't been down this route, but I just want to say wow, brilliant, and I hope (I'm sure there is) someone out there you can share support with. Is there a support group your consultant can put you in touch with?

Things will get easier, I'm sure they will. It's early days - you're only a week in - but you can do this!

Hugs!

Love Snapsy
:)

Reactions: Granny_grump_

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Reactions: azure

Meffie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had a gastric sleeve in 2008 and I lost a lot of weight . I Also put it all back on. I don't wish to sound like the angel of doom I know myself how desperate I was to lose weight but in my case I was prepared psychologically for the changes to my body and also I add people's morbid curiosity in me . I Felt like a freak! I have only recently been diagnosed with diabetes and this I believe is because after the surgery I developed fibromyalgia which was suggested could have been through surgical trauma and I went from mountain biking 30 miles a day to being more or less housebound. I still eat less than my 6 year old grandson but because my body has become used to starving itself I now absorb every calorie!
Good luck a gastric band is reversible unlike the sleeve ... make sure you get your head around the changes in your life xxx

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

Sorry you are feeling so down, but at least some of it will be due to the residual anaesthesia, and the shock/stress of the operation. Please don't feel alone, and try and get in touch with any support groups and help that you can find. Did the hospital give you anyone to contact for ongoing advice?

Have you noticed any improvement in blood glucose levels as a result of the op? I can imagine that seeing visible evidence of improved control would be very helpful to your morale. The stats on the effectiveness of gastric band surgery to reverse T2 diabetes is what inspired Professor Taylor to do his Newcastle Diet studies.

Please let us know how you are getting on?

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
Hi @juliekem can I just say please don't feel a failure, as you put it. You're not a failure. And you've taken many steps in your journey, including the one on Saturday!

I'm afraid I can't advise as I haven't been down this route, but I just want to say wow, brilliant, and I hope (I'm sure there is) someone out there you can share support with. Is there a support group your consultant can put you in touch with?

Things will get easier, I'm sure they will. It's early days - you're only a week in - but you can do this!

Hugs!

Love Snapsy
:)

Hi just to say I agree your doing what's right for you,your certainly no failure,wait until things settle down after surgery has sometimes after effects of surgery can leave you feeling a little low. Look forward to slimming down and all those lovely clothes you will fit into,and the control of your diabetes. The summer is just around the corner look forward to what's ahead,and good luck to you let us know how your getting on. K