Type 1 Gastroparesis :(

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
IVe been having night sweats, with a hugely bloated stomach for the last year.

Dr Sent Me for Barium Swallow Tests and today i was told i have sevear gastroparesis.

Im only 27 and this is the first complication of any kind ive had, problem is i dont really no were to go from here, ive been told to cut fibre from my diet and given some metoclopraide but ive been told i cant be on them long term?

feeling a little lost at the moment with this one, it has however explained the issues ive been having with my control and they say its bumped to the top of the list for the pump/

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi..

First off, it may not be diabetes complication.. Many non diabetics get GP.

There are good GP facebook groups- one for diabetics and GP'ers in the UK.

Yes, you need to look at everything you eat for fibre content now as well. Less than 12g a day.

Recommended cereal is 30g of rice crispies with milk.

Meat is rarely tolerated.

Soft veg helps. Nothing with skin on..

From a salad I can only eat avocado and cucumber without skin.

Veg-still trying to find some. Courgette is ok for stomach but plays havoc with bloods. No peas, no beans or anything like baked beans, lentils or chick peas. Overcooked brocolli and asparagus is ok.

Sorbet is ok for a pudding.

A pump helps a lot. You must know how to carb count. You must be prepared to log everything.. Food, how much it weighed if you cook it youself.

I have 100g of tinned peaches and 100g of yogurt and that for the brands I buy comes in at 26g and only raises my blood from 5.6 to 7.1 and is tolerated by my stomach and colon.

It is **** hard. Nobody will really understand what you go through unless they have both conditions...

Even soup may not be any good because of the onion/tomato etc things that go in it.

Melon may be ok. Add on some ginger and yogurt and its not bad.

Oranges are a no no for me. Banana rarely because its high in potassium.

Butternut squash was ok but can only eat one small piece a week due to its high vit C content.

My food this week has been...

Today:
Peaches & yogurt
Cod & courgette (but courgette spikes blood too much so is not good for me)

Yesterday:
The same as today

Tuesday:
Same yogurt n peaches
2 soft boiled eggs out of shells and mashed with courgette..(this was the start of my trial with courgette)

Monday:
Avocado 30g , skinned cucumber 52g, feta cheese 15g. 2 soft boiled eggs.
Rachels organic ginger yogurt 100g
Total carbs for all of that was 23.4g. I include 4g of carb for eggs.

Eggs are ok for me.

I pour a bit of olive oil on all my main meals for a bit of fat to give me some added calories.

Know the feeling for hugely bloated!!
IMG_1471554690.667339.jpg

Normally too lean to keep size 8 trousers up and when I posted a similar photo on facebook a friend I not seen that lives in US congratulated me for being pregnant!!

You will feel better when you can find what works for you.

Bread, pasta, rice of any description is no for me. After getting thru stomach my colon just cannot pass it thru.

Are you being nauseous and sick too?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Have a look at gastroparesis support for diabetics on fb. Its a closed group. Also Gift, gastroparesis & intestinal failure trust uk. Again another closed group but don't let it worry you...most importantly is to find your own way as priority.
Some people in the groups are quite ill from GP and other complications.. But not everybody!! Thats what you must bear in mind.

You will have to take additional responsibility now for finding foods/drinks that you can drink and eat.

Many have protein drinks for extra calories.

There are an awful lot of young persons/mature/slim/obese/diabetic and non diabetics...persons with Parkinsons can also be vulnerable to GP as well.

It isn't an easy diagnosis to cope with and my thoughts are with you. It is a permanent illness and you need to see what help you can get with disability allowance too. D Allowance depends upon how bad it is affecting you.

It is important to now find foods and drinks that you can cope with and to make sure you get enough vitamins each day.

You're in my thoughts...xx