GD and home birth

nicegirl

Hi all,
I did the glucose tolerance test a while back since my dad recently (in his 60s) got type 2 diabetes,
I have two children from previous pregnancies which were both straightforward and before my dad got diagnosed so no testing for high blood sugar. My test result was 7.8 btw, right on the cut off point. I am not 100% convinced I've got pregnancy diabetes. I mean nobody told me I should eat as normal for 3 days and then fast, I ate more sugar as I thought I wouldn't be able to eat any after if test was positive, so thinking that might have skewed it.....

I test 7 times a day and my values have been within normal range. I eat as normal, just not any snacking and no sugar really.

I'd like very much to have a planned home birth this time, as last time we had a very quick unplanned one.
I'm just feeling a bit annoyed with all this atm, as, in my home country, Sweden and in Norway, where apparently survival rates of mums and babies are much better than here they don't consider you to have pregnancy diabetes unless you have 10-11mnol, just like WHO recommends.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm moaning, it feels a bit like I do nothing but visit hospital and talking to annoying health professionals atm and they aren't overly happy about a home birth.

Is anyone else here wanting a home birth even though they have GD?

I know I come across as quite angry, sorry I'm just feeling a bit helpless and frustrated atm...

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
I'm not sure they will be keen on you having a home birth with GD, although not sure they can exactly stop you if you've got your heart set on it, think one prob is that if they baby struggles to get out cos it is big, then they won't be able to just wheel you into theatre for a c-section?

Sounds like your query is not about whether you can have a home birth with GD but whether you actually have GD at all, can you ask for a second opinion?

Dipsy

You have the right to give birth wherever you want to.

They wrote a new hospital policy for me here because I insisted on a home-birth and was on insulin. :mrgreen:

Very interesting to hear of the WHO guidelines. I refused insulin the next pregnancy and did a low carb diet instead - but I did wonder if even that was really necessary.

Cranberry987

I have GD controlled by insulin and am planning a home birth. Do your research and get a birth plan sorted also check out http://www.homebirth.org.uk/ for their section on GD. If you have any problems booking a home birth then contact AIMS who can support you in fighting your corner. I have employed a Doula who will be helping me stand up for myself if I get a cowbag midwife turn up, might be something which would help you?

Ive been warned of the risk of shoulder dystocia, but they actually dont treat it any differently in the hospital than at home, just afterwards treatment would obv need an ambulance ride rather than just go upstairs. they actually cant predict who gets SD and who doesnt tho. 75 % of SD happen to ppl with no risk factors, and only 4% of those with any risk factors have any problems. Theres a billion other things which could go wrong.

You may be offered growth scans which may lead to them warning you that the baby is large/large chested. Worth bearing in mind, but also remember that these scans are ridiculously innaccurate and their use has been questioned by many many professionals, they just dont have anything better to use as a test.

You'll need to monitor your levels during labour and medicate with sugar/insulin. I need to talk to my DSN about this, but I was planning on eating weetabix and glucose tabs if I get low, and just popping a bit of insulin in if i get high. And baby will need monitoring after the birth and watching for any signs of low sugars.

This is all very doable at home tho. I read somewhere that babies actually have slightly lower sugars just after birth anyway, its just that theyre never tested unless mum has diabetes, so slightly low might actually be totally normal. The way to correct low sugar is feed him, hardly rocket science. If he gets super low then youll probably need to transfer, but if youre monitoring him you can see if its starting to go low and transfer before its a total emergency.

You might have to stand up for yourself a bit, but its entirely possible to have a safe and sucessful home birth.

All in all, its worth being aware of these things, but for me the risk of a hospital birth is higher than a home birth with controlled GD and no other complications.

Could you ask to have the gtt repeated if youre not convinced?

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love you guys!
I was going to say where you decide to have your baby is entirely up to you although you wont usually be welcomed at a Midwifery led unit as GD usually falls outside their 'guidelines' for admission.

The bottom line is you do the research and you decide what set of risks you want to take and what you even regard as risk. I'm a Midwife and I'm not allowed to give specific advice to you but you may also like to look here http://www.aims.org.uk/ for more info.

wiflib

Cranberry987

Also check out association of radical midwifery. Shame that ita labelled as radical tbh as it generally seems to be non alarmist and based on actual sound evidence which is more than I can say for some hospital guidelines.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm an ARM member. The 'radical' was chosen as meaning back to roots. The letters are a tongue in cheek nod to a common and almost always unnecessary and commonly performed, medical interference of labour.

wiflib