GD and need some reassurance

incakola

Hi,
I'm new to the forum and really in need of some advice. I did my GTT when I was 28 weeks pregnant as I'm a bit on the chubby side, and at 31 weeks I got a call to say that I was borderline (reading of 7.8 which is the cut off apparently) so would I go in. Don't even ask why it took them 3 weeks to inform me about this potential problem as that's another story!
Went and did all the with the diabetic MW who gave me advice on diet and how to test sugar levels.
Had a consultant appointment at 32 weeks and was quite proud of the fact that, despite barely changing my diet at all (apart from cutting out the odd chocolate bar) I'd managed to keep all but 1 of the readings below the levels they'd given me (5.9 before breakfast and 7.8 an hour after meals) and that high reading was only 7.9 so only just over. However, consultant decided I should be put on Metformin straight away. I refused, saying that I wanted to avoid as many medical interventions as possible, plus I was only just over and I was only borderline to begin with.
He reluctantly agreed.
2 weeks later I went back and apart from another 3 readings (none of which were above 8.4) I'd been well under the 7.8 limit - usually somewhere between 5.3 and 6.1 an hour after meals. I saw the diabetic MW first and she did my blood sugars, which happened to fall about an hour after breakfast. It was 4.1 and she told me that it was too low and I needed to eat a biscuit if it's below 4.5 after a meal. So I thought the consultant would be fine about me being diet controlled, but once again he said I needed Metformin. Again I refused, saying that the MW had said my sugar was too low and besides, 95% of the time my blood sugar was well within the acceptable range. He wrote in big letters that I was going against his advice.

Anyway, I'm due my next appointment on Thursday and I've not had a single reading since over 7.1 even though I've pretty much eaten what I like including pastries for breakfast and chocolate after dinner! But I have this feeling that the consultant will just wade in trying to get me to take Metformin again. I'm starting to think I should go against my instincts and just give in but I really REALLY want to avoid taking anything I don't need to.

Please can someone give me some advice because I just have no faith whatsoever in what the docs at my hospital are telling me now. Thanks in advance.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Can you tell us when exactly do you test. Is this every day, also have you had your HbA1c done.

Going on some of the things you have mentioned your levels at 1 hr might well be on the way up, not at a peak. Pastries in particular contain fat so therefore will slow down the absorbtion of the carbs in your bloodstream which will convert to higher Bg levels later than 1 hr. Do you test at 2 hrs or more with certain foods ?

Might help us to help you.

Ken

incakola

Hiya,

Thanks for your reply. I was advised to do the test first thing in the morning, then 1 hour after eating every day, which is what I've been doing. My HbA1c level was tested on the 15th July and it was noted down as 5.5% in my notes. I'll be honest and say I really have no idea what this means!

I really appreciate the help.

Amy

incakola

Just wanted to update to avoid any confusion and possibly help others in a similar situation.

I had my consultant appointment on Thursday, with the same guy I've seen for the last 2 times. For some reason this time he didn't once mention medication and suggested that I continue controlling my 'diabetes' (and I put it in inverted commas because I'm not 100% convinced that I have it!) through diet. There was also a consultant obstetrician present so maybe that had some effect.
They have agreed that instead of inducing me at 38 weeks (next week!) and insisting that I remain under constant monitoring throughout labour and being given an epidural at the beginning as a 'precaution' in case things go wrong, I will now be classed as 'low risk' and treated as any other pregnant woman would. Meaning I will not be considered for induction until 41 weeks as per normal and the amount of medical intervention I receive in terms of monitoring and pain relief will be entirely my choice and not dictated by the doctors.

It's a huge relief, but I have to say a massive turnaround and I don't really understand why all those things I'd been told in previous appointments suddenly don't apply. It was a real worry that something was seriously wrong and my baby was at risk, and now it doesn't seem that that is the case at all.

Although I'm sure the doctors have nothing but my well-being at heart, I think sometimes they're far to quick to reach for the medication in an attempt to stay in control. Maybe it's the american blame culture that's made them scared of being sued if something does go wrong. However, I'm glad I stuck to my guns and went with my instincts. My baby may well be larger than average (which is the main reason they want to induce early) but I don't think the risks of giving birth to a larger baby is outweighed by the risks that can be brought about by all the interventions medical staff are sometimes so keen on.

Good luck to all the other ladies wading through the quagmire of information and controversy that surrounds Gestational Diabetes.

sugar2

Best of luck with the birth!! Must be really excited now :D

It may be, that at 37 weeks, there was no point the consultant trying to advice metaformin for you, as you clearly didn't want it, and frankly, it was a bit late for it to help. Having said that, it does sound like you may have been correct.

Hope all goes well, and it is good that baby gets to decide their own birthday!