GD: Blood sugar levels where am I going wrong?

monkeysmum10

I just picked up my monitor today after being diagnosed on Wednesday.
I had my level tested in hospital today after lunch and it was 3.6. I had a tuna mayo and sweetcorn sandwhich on brown bread, a bottle of water and I had to have 2 of my son's animal biscuits because I was about to pass out! I was sweaty, dizzy, tired and just really didn't feel well!! But still it only gave me a reading of 3.6.
On the gtt my readings were fine on the fasting (I think it was 5) and then 8.4 after the sugar drink and 2 hour wait.
For tea I had a plain salad (prepared at home so I know it's definitely plain!! It was lettuce, 2 cherry tomatoes, 3 carrot sticks, four thin slices of cucumber, 2 slices of ham and a few small chunks of watermelon (less than a handful) and a piece of wholemeal bread. The watermelon and bread where because the food booklet told me I had to have 2 pieces of fruit in a day and I had to have a carb off a list with each meal....Anyway it gave me a reading of 8.7!!! :O so eating a plain salad is worse than drinking the sugar stuff in the gtt!!
So what exactly can I eat if I can't even eat a plain salad!?! I'm so annoyed because I've done everything they have told me to and it's making my reading worse than if I'd just been carrying on as before!!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
How long after the sugar drink did you have your salad? Most likely you were still rising.

What meds are you on?

monkeysmum10

I had the sugar drink with the test 3 days ago. I've literally just had an omelette, the tuna sandwhich, and the salad today and that's it oh and water. After the sandwhich and 2 biscuits at lunch it was 3.6 then an hour ago it was 8.7. So it's got to be the salad that's done it. Literally feel like having nothing but water tomorrow!! I've dine everything they have advised and it's taken my nice low blood sugar and made it really High!!

monkeysmum10

And not on any meds, yet. I don't see the dietician for 2 weeks yet and it's a group discussion so not sure how many questions I'll be able to ask and besides thier advice seems to be making things worse anyway.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had the sugar drink with the test 3 days ago. I've literally just had an omelette, the tuna sandwhich, and the salad today and that's it oh and water. After the sandwhich and 2 biscuits at lunch it was 3.6 then an hour ago it was 8.7. So it's got to be the salad that's done it. Literally feel like having nothing but water tomorrow!! I've dine everything they have advised and it's taken my nice low blood sugar and made it really High!!

How many weeks pregnant are you?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm 26+4 x

Ok : )

The good thing is that your GD was spotted. I know they have better screening now as it was being underdiagnosed.

The thing I noticed was the watermelon you ate. I find that puts my blood sugar up a lot. I assumed it would be mainly water, but it's obviously not. Perhaps you could try the same meal with a different fruit choice. I'm not sure what's on your list, but berries are usually low carb.

If you keep testing after meals you'll find out what foods you can 'tolerate'. It might also help to add some fat to your meals as it can slow down the absorption of carbs. Some ladies find choosing lower GI foods helps.

It's a careful balance of eating the right/enough foods for your baby and keeping your blood sugar in range. Some women with GD do need to go on to meds, but it depends on the woman. Blood sugars tend to rise as pregnancy goes on, so sometimes ladies need help to keep in range.

Keep testing and recording what you eat - it'll help you work out what works for you, and will be useful information for your team.

patrickba

If you keep testing after meals you'll find out what foods you can 'tolerate'. It might also help to add some fat to your meals as it can slow down the absorption of carbs. Some ladies find choosing lower GI foods helps.

GreenEight

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Mm, agreed it's the bread and watermelon.

Try blueberries instead of watermelon and put some cheese with the salad - more protein is good.

angelhrt084

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Exotic fruits like melon and pineapple should be avoided. It's not that the dieticians advice is bad, it's just finding the balance and quantity that works for you. Think of this as an experiment. I'm 33 weeks and have just been put on insulin at night as my fasting bloods were too high but I've mastered meal times. Carbs are essential so don't cut them out completely, adjust your quantity, choose sweet potato instead of white, grain bread instead of white, small portions of rice and pasta etc a portion size is equivalent to your fist size. Bulk other foods out like leafy greens, kale, meat, salad etc. Chocolate is slow release so you might find that it affects your sugars later in the day. It's hard work trying to get the right balance and some days you'll be scratching your head wondering what you done wrong cos you ate the same food at the same quantity and your sugars are off target but one offs aren't too much to worry about.

Can't wait til I can indulge in some sweets and chocolate cake!!!!