General Stress in work

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Just thought I'd post this because it's quite revealing. I worked for 28 years in the public sector and took a package at the end of 2013 under their early exit scheme. I've now been home since December and my blood sugars, for the first time in a long while, are never erratic and hardly ever go over 9. I knew I was always getting stressed out about work and worried about this that and the other, deadlines etc, but I had no idea quite how much affect it had on my blood sugars. Now that I am fully chilled out my blood sugars are amazing so the affect stress had on me and how it affected my diabetes is clear. (My DSN joked with me that if I was at home I'd worry more about my diabetes - but she was wrong!!)
Downside is, at 48, my hubby and I agreed that I would need a part-time job (circa 15-20hrs) but at least I hope it will be low key and hopefully something that I enjoy a bit more than budgets!! I'm just sending off my CV to our local golf club for an admin clerk. Who knows, I may pick up my golf clubs again and get fit into the bargain.

Reactions: 3 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Good to see the improvement. Wish I could give up work lol !

Reactions: 3 people

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Yes I'm lucky :) Thought that 28 years in any job was long enough - time for a change

Sarahfergo

Hi I've had hospital additions due to diabetes and had an operation for carpel tunnel and my work have given me a verbal and written warning which means next I get a disciplinary I'm so worried and feel like rubbish with it I need to get my other hand done but I can because I'll get a disciplinary what should I do? I work for a very large company.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

2christine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
you may think its nice to be retired now but when you have had a few years of it, some people realize that a good job is a wonderful thing to have,thats why they go back to work and never retire again.:)

katie24

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I've had hospital additions due to diabetes and had an operation for carpel tunnel and my work have given me a verbal and written warning which means next I get a disciplinary I'm so worried and feel like rubbish with it I need to get my other hand done but I can because I'll get a disciplinary what should I do? I work for a very large company.

Forgive me if this sounds naive, but why on earth would you get written warnings for hospital admissions? I would presume that any kind of disciplinary procedure, particularly at a large firm, would mean submitting medical notes/records. Unless you didn't do this, I can't get my head around it! Have you tried speaking to your HR team or asking for a copy of the company's disciplinary procedure? Also, was the carpel tunnel surgery a result of work place strain? If it is, then they really shouldn't be threatening you with disciplinary action....

B

badcat

I work in the nhs and recently went part time due to all the **** going on and the resultant stress - my blood pressure and diabetes have both improved and I'm spending less money too now I'm no longer looking for " that holiday" or "that whateverelse " to look forward to to make things more tolerable

Reactions: 2 people

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I think that it very much depends what job Christine!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Well hopefully you'll find part-time work that isn't too stressful Riri, great news that yoiu've seen big improvements in your bg readings since getting out of the public sector work :)

Sarahfergo

I don't know, my manager didn't even have the back bone to even tell me I was having a verbal warning at the time or even a written one she just give me the letter, I'm a nursery officer, I just don't even know what to think or do anymore :((

katie24

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know, my manager didn't even have the back bone to even tell me I was having a verbal warning at the time or even a written one she just give me the letter, I'm a nursery officer, I just don't even know what to think or do anymore :((

Might be worth speaking to your HR team to make sure she's followed the correct procedure. If your manager hasn't, you might want to consider your options! Don't let them try and take the p*ss and blame it on your diabetes. I've been diabetic for 9 years and when I was hospitalised last year due to Ketoacidosis, my employers were nothing but supportive and followed the procedures to ensure my return to work went smoothly and asked if there were adjustments they could make to ensure I didn't get ill again. Make sure you know where you stand with regards to your companies policies in case you need to argue your case.