Gestational and Type 1

jasmine1616

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hate people who think they know about T1D, but they really don't
Hey, I know some of y'all might think I am just plain dumb, but honestly, I kind of know the answer to the question, but I'm not 100% sure. I'm like, 80% sure. Here is the question:
If you have Type 1 Diabetes and you get pregnant, do you just have T1D and pregnant, or do you have Gestational Diabetes?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey, I know some of y'all might think I am just plain dumb, but honestly, I kind of know the answer to the question, but I'm not 100% sure. I'm like, 80% sure. Here is the question:
If you have Type 1 Diabetes and you get pregnant, do you just have T1D and pregnant, or do you have Gestational Diabetes?

Gestational Diabetes is a kind of diabetes that only happens during pregnancy (and usually goes away after). If you have Type 1 and become pregnant, then you're pregnant with pre-existing diabetes not gestational :)

Flakey Bake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would think that you can get both. My understanding is that gestational diabetes is pregnancy induced type 2/insulin resistence. So I guess you become insulin resistent during pregnancy and have to inject more insulin to control your BG. The dreaded double diabetes!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would think that you can get both. My understanding is that gestational diabetes is pregnancy induced type 2/insulin resistence. So I guess you become insulin resistent during pregnancy and have to inject more insulin to control your BG. The dreaded double diabetes!

I see what you're trying to get at, but I don't think that's the case. If you have pre-existing diabetes, by definition you can't get gestational. I understand it's a way to distinguish between pre-existing and pregnancy diabetes.

The IR of pre-existing diabetes in pregnancy is different from Gestational Diabetes.

Flakey Bake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I see what you're trying to get at, but I don't think that's the case. If you have pre-existing diabetes, by definition you can't get gestational. I understand it's a way to distinguish between pre-existing and pregnancy diabetes.

The IR of pre-existing diabetes in pregnancy is different from Gestational Diabetes.
I am not sure that I agree Azure. The two conditions have completely different underlying causes however share range of symptoms. Maybe I am being pedantic but it is a bit like saying that you can't catch a cold if you have flu, these also have two separate causes (completely different virus species) that can occur simulateously with very overlapping symptoms. The overproduction of insulin in type 2/gestational diabetes is result of reduced insulin sensitivity, which can also occur concurrently with no insulin production in type 1. I suspect the issue is the medical profession like to have a clear diagnosis in neat little boxes. I certainly don't fit in a neat little box. Maybe we are over analysing, I wonder if the first post was tongue in cheek, but an interesting question nevertheless.

jasmine1616

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I'm getting confused again! :banghead::bookworm::p

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm getting confused again! :banghead::bookworm::p

There's no need. My answer is correct.

You either have pre-existing diabetes, Gestational Diabetes (that you only get in pregnancy) or no diabetes at all.

You have Type 1. If you were to get pregnant in the future, you would be pregnant with pre-existing diabetes.

If a friend of yours who,does not have diabetes, got pregnant and then as her pregnancy progressed, was found to have higher than normal blood sugars, she would be diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes. She would be told that it's a special kind of diabetes that only occurs during pregnancy and usually goes away after.

When you read about Gestational Diabetes on the Internet, it is that (the friend example I made up above) that they are referring to NOT people with Type 1 or Type 2 who are pregnant.

Gestational Diabetes does not just mean anyone who is pregnant and has diabetes. You have Type 1 and if you become pregnant, you will be Pregnant With Pre-Existing Diabetes (Type 1).

Flakey Bake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think this is a case of semantics, terminology and over simplifaction by the medical profession. Yes Azure is right, you go into pregnancy with pre-existing type 1 diabetes. But something happens in pregnancy resulting in a decrease in insulin sensitivity. This is not due to the pre-existing type 1 diabetes, but rather due homonal changes, weight gain, metabolic stress associated with pregnancy (i.e. in other words a type 2-like diabetes, aka gestational diabetes). It is dealt with by adjusting insulin ratios. Just because the medical profession does not apply the label does not mean it is not occuring. The additional insulin resistence that occurs in preganacy is just one factor that makes good BG control for some pregnant women so difficult to achieve.
Just to throw in another dimention - I developed type 1 diabetes during pregnany. I was initially told gestational diabetes, then no actually type 1. In my case, they clearly divided the two conditions. The two conditions are separate but can overlap - it is just never defined that way.

Reactions: Medusa41

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Flakey Bake I see what you are getting at, but that wasn't the question asked. @azure is correct that if you are type one, and get pregnant, you do not have gestational diabetes.

What you are saying (not Jasmine1616) is that if you are a pregnant type 1, and find your insulin resistance is increasing, it could be related to your pregnancy. But this wouldn't be classed as gestational diabetes as that is temporary and the treatment for gestational is insulin (which you are on as a type one anyway) if diet doesn't help (I think, I haven't been pregnant yet as I am male but I believe they are reluctant to give out pills due to developing baby).

Adding to this, if a type 1 decides to have a couch potato lifestyle and gets insulin resistance you do not have type one and two, you are still type one (I know thats not how type two is always caused - just going for extreme spectrum to make a point).

jasmine1616

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thank you @ElkBond and @azure! This makes so much more sense now! @Flakey Bake , I think @azure 's answer makes more sense, and also, you weren't really answer the question I asked, but thanks for trying to help.

Reactions: azure

jasmine1616

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@ElkBond , you would make an awesome lawyer!