1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Gestational Diabetes/hba1c/prediabetes

Discussion in 'Prediabetes' started by Ciara86, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Ciara86

Ciara86 · Member

Hi all i was diagnosed with gestational diabetes but my main concern is that it is pre-diabetes/type 2 following this. Am 35 weeks pregnant and on metformin and insulin and feel more than likely will have a diagnosis of diabetes after ogtt after i hive birth, what were u guys hba1c before and on being told prediabetes?? In mmol we dont work in %really.

2. JoycieW

JoycieW · Active Member

I had gestational diabetes at age 31 which went away after the birth. I was diagnosed with T2D at age 51. If I had understood the disease and known about a low carb diet then I think the gestational diabetes would have been a warning, I would have changed my diet and I would never have developed T2D. I hope all goes well for you and your new baby! Is this your first child?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ciara86

Ciara86 · Member

Thanks so much for sharing joycie- how did u then get diagnosed with it? It is my first baby i am sooo nervous about size and complications as measuring so big and afraid for birth xx

4. JoycieW

JoycieW · Active Member

My baby was big but also early, so have your bags packed! It was also a C-section. I went on to have another baby and I was very strict with my diet - but not low carb. Second time around no diabetes, natural delivery and full term but still a big boy. Try to relax and enjoy the experience, if you can. I would look into low carb after you have recovered from the birth and when things have settled down. Please seek medical advice as they will need to take your medication into account. Wishing you all the best! Motherhood is wonderful!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ronnie_dog

Ronnie_dog Type 2 · Member

6. Ronnie_dog

Ronnie_dog Type 2 · Member

Exactly the same for me ☹️
    Completely untreated gestational diabetes with first pregnancy and now diabetic.
    I manage mine with nighttime insulin and a keto diet.
    Has anyone visited the diabetes.org.uk website? Just staggering!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Ciara86

Ciara86 · Member

Yeah i am on metformin tablets an insulin also an this week my morning readings keep going up ton5.5-5.7. Really worrying bout effects metformin an insulin will have on my baby. Hba1c done two weeks ago said 33 but have really struggled this week and had biscuits or chocolate of some sort most evenings. Really struggling

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook