Gestational diabetes newly diagnosed

samixxx

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, I am 9weeks pregnant and was diagnosed with gestational diabetes last week. I have been put onto insulin starting with 6 and increasing by 2 if blood sugar isn't below 7.8.
My problem is I am really struggling I have increased to 10 but still getting higher readings I'm finding it all so overwhelming do I continue to increase each dose? I can't figure out what to eat even though I'm following what the dietician has advised.
I'm also tired all the time and really irritable feeling really fed up.
Thank you in advance

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Hi @samixxx Welcome to the forum I'm going to tag @azure for you and hopefully other members who can help will also read your post and come along soon. Try not to worry, someone who can answer you will be along soon. Good luck x

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all, I am 9weeks pregnant and was diagnosed with gestational diabetes last week. I have been put onto insulin starting with 6 and increasing by 2 if blood sugar isn't below 7.8.
My problem is I am really struggling I have increased to 10 but still getting higher readings I'm finding it all so overwhelming do I continue to increase each dose? I can't figure out what to eat even though I'm following what the dietician has advised.
I'm also tired all the time and really irritable feeling really fed up.
Thank you in advance

Hi @samixxx :) Congratulations on your pregnancy :)

What insulin are you taking and when? What are your blood test results like (ie the numbers you're getting)?

I suggest that you contact your diabetes nurse, and I also suggest you ask if you could have Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes. 9 weeks is quite early to get Gestational Diabetes so it would be sensible to rule out Type 1 and 2.

The tiredness and irritability could be to do with your high sugars. Most people find high blood sugar makes them feel irritable and exhausted.