Gestational Diabetes

Ciara86

Hey all had diabetic clinic yesterday am now 33.5 wks pregnant. Have been on metformin 1000mg twice daily for 2 weeks an started on insulin yest 2 units to start with but my sugar levels seem to be increasing since this. Anyone experienced that??
Also bloods came bk yest an hba1c is 33 - what does this mean??

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Also bloods came bk yest an hba1c is 33 - what does this mean??
hbA1C is a measure of your average blood sugar over the last 3 months. 33 is in the range for a non-diabetic, so if your blood sugars have been higher than normal they haven't been so for long. They may also do something called a fructosamine test to look at your more recent sugars (2-3 weeks) but that excellent hba1c result is an indicator that your blood sugars have been OK up to now.
I'm a T1 so can't comment too much on your increasing insulin needs, except to say that during my 2 pregnancies my insulin needs went up quite a lot during the late stages of pregnancy and I'd expect this to be the same for GD folk. Good luck. :)

Reactions: Ciara86

Ciara86

hbA1C is a measure of your average blood sugar over the last 3 months. 33 is in the range for a non-diabetic, so if your blood sugars have been higher than normal they haven't been so for long. They may also do something called a fructosamine test to look at your more recent sugars (2-3 weeks) but that excellent hba1c result is an indicator that your blood sugars have been OK up to now.
I'm a T1 so can't comment too much on your increasing insulin needs, except to say that during my 2 pregnancies my insulin needs went up quite a lot during the late stages of pregnancy and I'd expect this to be the same for GD folk. Good luck. :)

Thank u so much Ellie - she just gave me the sheet with the numbers on it and i hadnt a clue. Had been told at the clinic weeks ago that was more likely ive had type 2 for awhile rather than GD xx