Get your next Libre to Abbott now!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I’ve just received an email telling me my order is ‘on hold’ due to ‘exceptional demand’. Abbott say they’re aiming for three weeks from receipt of order to delivery so get that order in early!
I think there’s been a previous thread about this but thought a reminder and update wouldn’t go amiss.

Reactions: Sibyl

Sibyl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve just received an email telling me my order is ‘on hold’ due to ‘exceptional demand’. Abbott say they’re aiming for three weeks from receipt of order to delivery so get that order in early!
I think there’s been a previous thread about this but thought a reminder and update wouldn’t go amiss.

I know! I put my order in on the 12th February and it’s still on hold. I start my last one on Saturday so in theory I should be okay. That’s of course if the last one is A1. Lmao! Normally, I like to have a spare just in case. Hate to do without now - get withdrawal symptoms! Lol!

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My replacement sensor for a duff one is also “on hold” due to demand despite being promised to arrive within a week - not impressed
I did have an orer in for 4 more sensors but cancelled it due to the degree of error being shown by this sensor with multiple 2-3mmol discrepancies (e.g last night sensor says “lo” but both of my meters say 6.2 few days earlier sensor says 10,6 meters say 6.4 - 7.1)
Oh well that at least put 4 more sensors into the distribution pot

Reactions: Fatima_94 and Sibyl

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think the answer is to buy them over the counter at a pharmacy - think Abbot would really like to deal with the 55,000 pharmacist and bulk orders rather than directly to the 400,000 T1s who want 4 at a time, let alone all the T2s! :wideyed:

Reactions: Sibyl and becca59

Sibyl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My replacement sensor for a duff one is also “on hold” due to demand despite being promised to arrive within a week - not impressed

That doesn’t bode well! Normally “duff one” replacements take priority!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I know! I put my order in on the 12th February and it’s still on hold. I start my last one on Saturday so in theory I should be okay. That’s of course if the last one is A1. Lmao! Normally, I like to have a spare just in case. Hate to do without now - get withdrawal symptoms! Lol!

Me too! Really hoping they increase production ASAP! I’ve just changed from Lantus to Levemir and find it invaluable for tracking to judge adjustments - just 10 days sensor life left and no more until the order arrives ☹️

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

I got that e-mail today also.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I’m beginning to wonder whether the hold up’s due to ‘demand’ or to a problem with production and my imagination’s whirling full time around factors like financial problems, fire, contamination, machine malfunction, Machiavellian plots to make everyone desire the unattainable . . . . Someone tell it to just shut up!

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think the 'demand' is the problem, sort of.

In the UK they have 2 channels of supply, 1 for direct customers and the other to the 'NHS/pharmacies'. Direct customers did account for 100% of their production, now they supply the 'NHS' and obviously that has to take precedence so they've (over) allocated to the NHS and reduced the available stock to direct customers. On top of this I believe demand in both channels have increased - funnily a small increase in this demand is caused by direct customers fed up of waiting for their order and getting them from pharmacist as well.

Who ever comes up with an equivalent (or better!) device better be ready for everyone to jump ship!

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
My son works for Abbotts and he said that they are just about to open another 2 lines in N. Ireland to double productivity to 160k sensors a day. Fingers crossed, this may ease the congestion

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I think the 'demand' is the problem, sort of.

In the UK they have 2 channels of supply, 1 for direct customers and the other to the 'NHS/pharmacies'. Direct customers did account for 100% of their production, now they supply the 'NHS' and obviously that has to take precedence so they've (over) allocated to the NHS and reduced the available stock to direct customers. On top of this I believe demand in both channels have increased - funnily a small increase in this demand is caused by direct customers fed up of waiting for their order and getting them from pharmacist as well.

Who ever comes up with an equivalent (or better!) device better be ready for everyone to jump ship!

I don’t know how many CCGs have approved it so far but it seems to still be pending in my area
http://www.southkentcoastccg.nhs.uk...setID=460081&type=full&servicetype=Attachment
Hope the copy paste takes this to the right site

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1

I've decided to hedge my bets until this settles down, so have ordered a dexcom G5 starter kit.

Had been meaning to try it for a while to compare against the libre/blucon/xdrip+ kit, so reckoned now's as good a time as any given the delivery uncertainties.

A bit ironic given that we're now getting libre on prescription in NHS Lothian - not much good if they can't provide - I'll be getting nothing for free...

Some older threads from when libre was first introduced mention having to go on a waiting list for months - sincerely hope it's not going to pan out like that, they've hopefully learned a bit since then and have mechanisms in place to ramp up production.

Maybe it'll end up like a scene from 28 Days Later - lots of T1s staggering about like zombies not having a clue what their bg is between strip tests! And there was Davjd Davis just off reassuring the nation last week that brexit won't end up like a Mad Max movie...

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I think the answer is to buy them over the counter at a pharmacy - think Abbot would really like to deal with the 55,000 pharmacist and bulk orders rather than directly to the 400,000 T1s who want 4 at a time, let alone all the T2s! :wideyed:

The cynical view would be that we have been pawns in a game whereby Abbot get the product accepted by Joe Public in an attempt to persuade retailers to stock it.

I wouldn't be surprised if on-line sales to individuals gets switched off in the not too distant future.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The cynical view would be that we have been pawns in a game whereby Abbot get the product accepted by Joe Public in an attempt to persuade retailers to stock it.

I wouldn't be surprised if on-line sales to individuals gets switched off in the not too distant future.

I've not been following the politics of it too much, but, to be fair to Abbott, they seem to have been pushing from the early days to get libre available on various "NHS" type schemes/health insurance in countries around the world, and, meantime, have made it available to buy for anyone with the cash and internet access.

shezza48

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I got an email from Abbott today saying my order is on hold due to demand. I’m on my last sensor for my Dexcom. DSN doesn’t want me to order anymore Dexcom sensors , she wants me to try the libre.

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So glad I saw this, quickly went and ordered some more even though I thankfully have 1 sensor left and have about 10 days on the one I'm wearing but if the wait is anything to go by I wanted to get my order in ASAP just in case!