Getting a pump at last.

Julian_Hands

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Thank you @tim2000s,

You've been a real support through this change.

It does shock me the 80% non usage figure, but as a beginner to this, I do think there is an opportunity missed somewhere for a bit of research and a bit more detail on the effects and application of the Extended & Multiwave Boluses. As I can see these will be a great tool once setup with some experience.
I may need to adjust my Carb Ratios further to then accommodate the extended Bolus but I see the logic and will definitely be using this feature as I can definitely see the need for such a tool.

These pumps are a very powerful bit of kit and provide some magical results with a bit of work, but its so good to have a system where you can see the results from the lessons you've learnt and adjustments made as opposed to the Lantus regime where once you've messed up, you pay a costly 24hour + price for that incorrect adjustment.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It does shock me the 80% non usage figure, but as a beginner to this, I do think there is an opportunity missed somewhere for a bit of research and a bit more detail on the effects and application of the Extended & Multiwave Boluses. As I can see these will be a great tool once setup with some experience.
Personally, I think the biggest reason for people not using them is highly linked to this. You've seen the conversations about the use of these tools with your interaction with the rest of the forum, and it's something that we talk about a lot. It's something that PWD can demonstrate to one another.

In the setting of the clinic, I think a huge opportunity is missed to get pump veterans together with new users to talk about how they use TBRs, Dual-Wave/Combi-bolus and Square Wave type features. It's not something that Consultants or DSNs can intuitively know nor experience.

The other mega-tip I have for you, especially as you're currently using libre, is to set a TBR of 0 for 30 mins when you see yourself heading low. It reduces the impact and duration of the low pretty effectively.

Reactions: Julian_Hands

Julian_Hands

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Thanks again @tim2000s,

I can definitely see that mega tip working as I was about to do the same (and wish I had) on Wednesday evening after taking the standard Bolus on the Chilli & Rice, the drop was so rapid but caught it with Lucozade and thanks to the Libre.

Totally agree with your comments about having group training sessions to share the experiences from others, as I must confess that over the past few years I just buried myself away and was fighting a losing battle with the MDI regime. My Hospital were superb in pointing me towards the internet and advising to do some research, which I have amazed myself with how much things had changed.

These Forums really do work and allow such greater knowledge from others experiences and everybody's lessons learnt.

Again a big thank you to all who partake in this Forum.