Getting back on track (or not!?)

amar1921

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey everyone!

Haven't been here for a while, but no worries, didn't manage to get rid of my diabetes :)

So I am opening this topic and honestly have no idea how and will it help, but just feel that need to share my situation and that will get some good tips here as always. So I am 20 years old, diagnosed with T1D three years ago (May 2014) and currently using Lantus (36 iu in morning) and Apidra. So in the first two years I have no any problems connected with my diabetes. When got diagnosed, I got three weeks education in hospital and was really taking care of everything, counted every carb, did lot of sports etc. At that time I was checking HbA1c every three months, and it was always between 5,4 % and 6,3 %, all diabetes connected blood tests were normal and luckily no complications on eyes, kidneys, feet... But during last summer I got kinda little bit more relaxed, started working full time job during summer holidays and in September 2016 HbA1c raised to 7,8 %. Then, next thing which happened was that I moved to Estonia for 1 year (still here, Erasmus exchange for 2 semesters) and started living alone abroad for the first time. I mean, generally about Erasmus life I don't need to explain you a lot, so it didn't help a lot to get back my control. I would say that at one point I totally forgot about diabetes and did some stupid things (such as eating and not taking insulin, starting again to drink alcohol, eating late in night and getting into hypos after bolusing). Here I had fully covered insurance, so from that side there wasn't any problems, I could go to endocrinologist at any point, but I was just going there when I needed new prescriptions.

But actually the thing which happened 3 weeks ago, made an alarm actually. After few days of flu symptoms (fever, swollen throat, tiredness), I got diagnosed with mononucleosis (Epstein-Barr virus). So as for it there is no actual medication, just resting and waiting for symptomps to disappear, and resting as liver is under pressure, I needed to increase my basal and start taking care more of my diabetes (mostly checking sugar few times a day again), and results alarmed me. To be sure how "bad" situation is, I checked my HbA1c and it was 8,6 % which is the worst ever since I got diagnosed.

At the beginning I felt so weird, as wasn't kinda used to see so many high readings every day, and was little bit angry and disappointed with myself. Now I started again to count carbs, to take care about food I am eating especially because now I am not allowed to have any kind of physical activity. So I just felt that making this topic, and "getting back" to forum and getting in touch with some people, will be helpful to me to get concentrated on my diabetes again. And also if anyone had an experience with mononucleosis, all kinds of advice are more than welcomed! :)

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My daughter had mono in high school around 2003, and she got over it in a few weeks as I recall, no problems. She had to quit playing on the soccer team for a couple weeks is all. The spike in BS expected and will go away. Sounds like you know how the disease works having experienced good control for a couple years, you just need to go back to that diet and discipline. Some people around here ignore it for years is sounds like to me. Just get back to eating the same things every day (more or less) and things will fall back into place. Good luck.

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey everyone!

Haven't been here for a while, but no worries, didn't manage to get rid of my diabetes :)

So I am opening this topic and honestly have no idea how and will it help, but just feel that need to share my situation and that will get some good tips here as always. So I am 20 years old, diagnosed with T1D three years ago (May 2014) and currently using Lantus (36 iu in morning) and Apidra. So in the first two years I have no any problems connected with my diabetes. When got diagnosed, I got three weeks education in hospital and was really taking care of everything, counted every carb, did lot of sports etc. At that time I was checking HbA1c every three months, and it was always between 5,4 % and 6,3 %, all diabetes connected blood tests were normal and luckily no complications on eyes, kidneys, feet... But during last summer I got kinda little bit more relaxed, started working full time job during summer holidays and in September 2016 HbA1c raised to 7,8 %. Then, next thing which happened was that I moved to Estonia for 1 year (still here, Erasmus exchange for 2 semesters) and started living alone abroad for the first time. I mean, generally about Erasmus life I don't need to explain you a lot, so it didn't help a lot to get back my control. I would say that at one point I totally forgot about diabetes and did some stupid things (such as eating and not taking insulin, starting again to drink alcohol, eating late in night and getting into hypos after bolusing). Here I had fully covered insurance, so from that side there wasn't any problems, I could go to endocrinologist at any point, but I was just going there when I needed new prescriptions.

But actually the thing which happened 3 weeks ago, made an alarm actually. After few days of flu symptoms (fever, swollen throat, tiredness), I got diagnosed with mononucleosis (Epstein-Barr virus). So as for it there is no actual medication, just resting and waiting for symptomps to disappear, and resting as liver is under pressure, I needed to increase my basal and start taking care more of my diabetes (mostly checking sugar few times a day again), and results alarmed me. To be sure how "bad" situation is, I checked my HbA1c and it was 8,6 % which is the worst ever since I got diagnosed.

At the beginning I felt so weird, as wasn't kinda used to see so many high readings every day, and was little bit angry and disappointed with myself. Now I started again to count carbs, to take care about food I am eating especially because now I am not allowed to have any kind of physical activity. So I just felt that making this topic, and "getting back" to forum and getting in touch with some people, will be helpful to me to get concentrated on my diabetes again. And also if anyone had an experience with mononucleosis, all kinds of advice are more than welcomed! :)

I had mono at university! Basically slept and ate soup for four weeks as I was knocked out. It was a struggle with my insulin and as it hurt to eat solid food I ended up running high for the start as I was really scared of hypos. However, as all I ate was the same soup it was really easy to dose for as it was always the same! Just keep checking your blood sugar as much as possible and keep drinking fluids. Soup is always a good call. And with regaining control, remember that things change so what gave good results a few years ago won't necessarily have the same impact! Take it step by step, you've done it before so you can do it, don't beat yourself up over it.