Getting back on track

Maggie75

Hi everyone,

I'm T2, diagnosed Nov/2020 with HBA1C of 66, managed to bring it down substantially with a low carb diet and 1 500mg Metformin a day, lost almost 3 stone, got HBA1C down to 36 and was doing really well until last summer when my anxiety went off the scales due to breast cancer scare (benign biopsy thank goodness), but the upshot for me was gaining back all the weight and going completely off the rails with eating and drinking wine. My last HBA1C done 5 months ago was back up at 48, DN was not happy at all but I simply wasn't in a place to change anything due to my mental health. I've been off work for 3 months now with anxiety, has not been at all good for my physical health, my weight is now the highest it has ever been and I simply feel exhausted and ill due to the excessive drinking and over-eating of carbs and sugar. I've now finally woken up to the fact that I need to change this now or face major health problems and I'm determined to do it. Due back to work very soon and I need to start feeling better and eating properly again. Does anyone have any tips to get back on track, I know willpower will play a big part and I really want to do this. I've also been wondering if I should get another HBA1C done, DN told me to get it done again after 3 months, I know the results won't be good but maybe the pep-talk I'll get from her will help as well. Sorry for the long winded post, just need a little bit of encouragement with this and to know I can pull this back. Thanks.

Maggie

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like you’re ready to go. Another A1C might be a good idea to give you a baseline to track progress against.

And get everything ready at home - throw out or giveaway any foods you don’t want to eat and stock up on all the stuff you do want to eat. Plan out a week of food and stick to it, then you’ll likely find it easier to stay back on track. And keep checking in here!

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
And also plan to give yourself things to look forward to that don't involve food and alcohol. You have had a nasty scare but you have much to look forward to in life! And you already know how much better you feel when your blood glucose is under control. Xx

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find doing my own testing with a finger prick truly motivating. I can see virtually instantly if I've gone off track
Suggest you test yourself

valann

Hi Maggie75,

Sounds to me as if you're determination is going to be a big help to you to get back on track. Getting that Hba1c test done is a good step so you have a new base to start from, so you can see it go down and yes self testing before and after meals certainly helped me big time.

Good luck, you know you can do it ;)

Maggie75

Thanks so much for your replies, I'm going to contact GP tomorrow to arrange HBA1C bloods to be done, I agree it's best to have a starting point however scary it may be. I'll definitely post back when I get my results from that and in the meantime it's back to healthier low carb eating, ditching the wine and testing again. I'm trying to think positive, I did it once and I can do it again. Thanks again.

Maggie

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a rather large freezer and it is so easy to bring out the fish or meat, the mixed veges or berries and have the basis of dinner - I even froze butter and cheese in the lockdown.
Not needing to go to the shops does make it a lot easier to stick to the menu.

Reactions: MrsA2