GI diet?

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
I believe that I open automated sliding doors by using the Force.
Doesn't make it true.;)

Not going to argue over semantics with you but in this context it's pretty well established;
  • "Reversed" refers to bg levels going from high (diabetic readings) to low non diabetic readings.
  • "Controlled" meaning to keep bg down as much as is possible but not reached the level of "Reversed".
You can use any word you want to describe this. :meh::banghead:

IF I was to go see a new Dr with no record of my medical history and get a blood test they would tell me I do not have diabetes. This does not make it true either. :p
:bag:

Pretty well established where. As far as I'm concerned your definition of reversed is controlled. your definition of controlled makes no sense. It can't be controlled if the target is not reached.

If you see a new doctor and the diagnosis isn't true then sorry, it ain't reversed.
If my auntie had balls, she'd be my uncle.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Which part of not going to argue over semantics did you not understand?
Was it the N the O or the T? :meh::banghead:

You don't have to argue. I didn't ask you to and I don't particularly care. The post is not for your benefit. It is for those readers who may interpret your message as having found some sort of elusive cure. You have reversed only the symptoms, not the condition. The readers of this forum deserve an explanation. I'm free to do that.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I thought it was one quick snip and Bob's your Aunt. ;-)

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm free to do that.
Shame your not very good at it then isn't it.:p

interpret your message as having found some sort of elusive cure.
That's one hell of a gift you have there to not only misinterpreter what I'm saying but what others are hearing. If you could do it with out putting words in to my mouth next time,
I would appreciate that. :bored:

@Crocodile I relay don't understand what your arguing about here, this is not personal, but your language is. "I think", "I believe" and " I don't particularly care". Not accusing you of benign aggressive but you seem to have taken something here to heart and I real don't understand. You are free to disagree, you are free to have an opposing opinion.
(feel free to send me a private message if there's any thing you feel you want to hash out.)

I don't agree that the readers "deserve your explanation" of my posts.

As for "Elusive Cure" it's realy very simple drain your liver of fat. Simple is not the same as easy. :bookworm:
(cure is your word not mine)

Pulling this back on topic if that is at all still possible I would suggest this is much harder to do on a GI diet compared to Vegan, Paleo, LCHF or Keto. ;)

Last edited:

Lally123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Shame your not very good at it then isn't it.:p

That's one hell of a gift you have there to not only misinterpreter what I'm saying but what others are hearing. If you could do it with out putting words in to my mouth next time,
I would appreciate that. :bored:

@Crocodile I relay don't understand what your arguing about here, this is not personal, but your language is. "I think", "I believe" and " I don't particularly care". Not accusing you of benign aggressive but you seem to have taken something here to heart and I real don't understand. You are free to disagree, you are free to have an opposing opinion.
(feel free to send me a private message if there's any thing you feel you want to hash out.)

I don't agree that the readers "deserve your explanation" of my posts.

As for "Elusive Cure" it's realy very simple drain your liver of fat. Simple is not the same as easy. :bookworm:
(cure is your word not mine)

Pulling this back on topic if that is at all still possible I would suggest this is much harder to do on a GI diet compared to Vegan, Paleo, LCHF or Keto. ;)
I kind of get what @Crocodile is saying and the problem lies in defining what is diabetes reversal, what is remission, what is controlled and are they all the same? I know.Diabetes UK are looking into reversal/remission at the moment so hopefully a clearer definition soon. My hba1c is at non.diabetic levels through low GI and carb controlled but I don't consider myself reversed because I'm on meds. I guess the word reversal has a more permanent feel to it and the real question lies in if you were to stop low carb would you become diabetic again? In which case you could say you were in remission rather than reversed? So like croc I find it easy to control my bgs with low GI and seem to have pretty good stability in my levels with no peaks and troughs so for me and probably loads of other people like me, low GI is the key to that stability.

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I kind of get what @Crocodile is saying
I have no problem understanding what he is saying just why.

@Lally123 you used the word "reversed" to described reversed: make (something) the opposite of what it was.
And "controlled" to describe controlled: to check, limit, curb, or regulate.
It's not difficult.

Congrats on your hba1c that's brilliant. "there is no right way just the way that's right for you"

I guess the word reversal has a more permanent feel to it and the real question lies in if you were to stop low carb would you become diabetic again?
No.
Because I have never stoped begin diabetic even though I have reversed my diabetes. It never goes away.
Would high blood glucose come back and all the complication that brings with it? Obviously.

Which raises the question IF a GI diet avoids spikes in bg but increases the amount of sugar you put into your body (either carbs or real sugar) is that a good way to "control" diabetes. Just looking at your non diabetic hba1c the answer would be yes it's working if and only if diet is the sole contributing factor in controlling bg levels.

Both you and Crock are on medication to help control bg levels while eating a GI diet. Is this a coincidence?
(I know there is so much more to it than just diet, everyone is different, and there maybe other medical conditions that require medication)

Not telling you what to eat,
Just food for thought. *-)
...bag...

Lally123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have no problem understanding what he is saying just why.

@Lally123 you used the word "reversed" to described reversed: make (something) the opposite of what it was.
And "controlled" to describe controlled: to check, limit, curb, or regulate.
It's not difficult.

Congrats on your hba1c that's brilliant. "there is no right way just the way that's right for you"

No.
Because I have never stoped begin diabetic even though I have reversed my diabetes. It never goes away.
Would high blood glucose come back and all the complication that brings with it? Obviously.

Which raises the question IF a GI diet avoids spikes in bg but increases the amount of sugar you put into your body (either carbs or real sugar) is that a good way to "control" diabetes. Just looking at your non diabetic hba1c the answer would be yes it's working if and only if diet is the sole contributing factor in controlling bg levels.

Both you and Crock are on medication to help control bg levels while eating a GI diet. Is this a coincidence?
(I know there is so much more to it than just diet, everyone is different, and there maybe other medical conditions that require medication)

Not telling you what to eat,
Just food for thought. *-)
...bag...
I can see that someone like you who has successfully eaten very low carb and controlled their diabetes without meds would believe wholeheartedly in that approach. Bit just as there are many different types of diabetes there are many other ways to control it. Basically my pancreas needs assistance to make enough insulin, my insulin production has been tested and found to be lacking. So for me, I have no choice but to stay on meds forever and possibly insulin in the future if my pancreas gives up on me! I tried very low carb, hated it found it too fat heavy and it didn't help my bgs at all in fact it made them worse. But even though I have no choice, I don't think not taking meds and diet control for all people is the only way of controlling diabetes and certainly diet controlled are a tiny minority of the total number of diabetics. So whereas eating carbs of any description is out for you, for people like me a low GI diet provides me with huge stability, no swings and **** good control. I guess it's all about the destination rather than the journey.

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can see that someone like you who has successfully eaten very low carb and controlled their diabetes without meds would believe wholeheartedly in that approach.
I "controlled" my diabetes by not eating sugar I ate pizza, rice, potatoes, bread, cornflakes, steak pie & chips, crisps and even chocolate biscuits.

Went from xxxl to medium in 3 months and bloods went down around pre diabetic range in that time.

I "reversed" my diabetes when I took the next step and went LCHF.

So whereas eating carbs of any description is out for you,
I can eat carbs whenever I want. I choose not to.
But they are not a non-option for me.
...bag...

Lally123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I "controlled" my diabetes by not eating sugar I ate pizza, rice, potatoes, bread, cornflakes, steak pie & chips, crisps and even chocolate biscuits.

Went from xxxl to medium in 3 months and bloods went down around pre diabetic range in that time.

I "reversed" my diabetes when I took the next step and went LCHF.

I can eat carbs whenever I want. I choose not to.
But they are not a non-option for me.
...bag...
Yeah that's what I meant when I said they are out for you, ie your dietary choices meaning you dont or won't want to. But is there really any difference between controlling diabetes one way or controlling it another way if the end result is the same? My hba1c is non diabetic but I won't ever think it's reversed because that's permanent and I will always be diabetic. Do you think if you started eating carbs again, even low GI (!) That would still be reversed?

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Basically my pancreas needs assistance to make enough insulin, my insulin production has been tested and found to be lacking. So for me, I have no choice but to stay on meds forever and possibly insulin in the future if my pancreas gives up on me!
Sorry if this came of as insensitive
(I did say I understand everyone is different and it's more complex than just diet there are other medical factors to take into account.)

One of the ideas that came up in this thread due to non "toxic level" spikes in bg
GI offer an option for a greater choice in foods for anyone with a less impaired IR response. Opposed to with impaired insulin production.
IF GI is not causing bg levels to peek but rather stay at a constantly topped up steady level this would mean you have to keep pumping out insulin to deal with it.

Can someone tell me if I have got this completely wrong here?:bookworm:
...bag...

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

You must have been eating a lot of sugar!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To those that follow a Low GI way of eating, I would like to ask how low do you consider to be low? Basically, I'm asking how many grams of carbs do you actually eat per day and per meal? Most of the starchy carbs are in the top half, near the top, so I assume you don't eat those?

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you think if you started eating carbs again, even low GI (!) That would still be reversed?
Yes of course.
It's more complex than just diet. I have drained my liver of fat and reduced the IR in my muscles which means my body can process carbs again.

That's what reversed means. The ability to process carbs at a satisfactory rate. :bookworm:
If I over tax my system by eating too much carbs and sugar and not exercising. Then my liver will start to clog up with fat again muscles will become IR again and my bg levels will rise, and I'm back where I started.

@Lally123 I don't want you to think I'm having a go.
It's just you made assumption about what I could or could not eat. I eat a varied meal plan some days I eat to a Keto plan others Paleo or Vegan others most are LCHF I do intermittent fasting usually 23 hours a couple of days a week today is one of those, I haven't eaten yet, breakfast will be at about 8pm,
I no longer eat to the clock.

This system works for me. :D

Do I choose to eat carbs certainly not on anything that would be considered a regular basis.
It's one of the reason I looked at GI a paper I read Keto vs LCFH vs GI in the treatment on NADFL which concluded GI had greater cardiovascular benefits in T2 .

I was looking at the benefits of introducing GI into this system, I have no problem with introducing more carbs and cutting back on the high fat aspect on some days, but I have one simple rule no sugar.

GI contains too much sugar.:meh:
...bag...