Given myself type 2 at 26 years old

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Got my HbA1c result a few days ago - 103 mmol/mol, so no doubt that I'm diabetic. It couldn't have come at a worse time - my thesis is due in a week or so (although now been told not to worry if it's late given the circumstances - still feels rubbish that this is necessary, I really wanted it done).

Initially there was some concern about type 1 given my age (26), but now they think it is type 2 (there was probably a long onset of symptoms since I've been losing weight for the last year or so (~20 kg in total) and also only small amounts ketones in urine, so no DKA).

I currently just feel really bad about myself, like how could I have given myself diabetes at 26?! I feel like such an idiot and failure. It's not even like it's borderline or anything given my fairly high HbA1c - I even have some signs of early kidney problems. I am overweight (BMI currently ~29.5, but as high as 34 at some points in the past) and I think I was just in denial about how much of a problem this was. I think I am just a bit overwhelmed at the moment.

I started a low carb diet to try and get my blood sugar down, but I'm finding it really hard - I feel worse than before diagnosis when I was eating 'normally'. No energy at all (e.g. even going up the stairs), more tired, constant headache, can't concentrate on anything, even a little lightheaded at points. Is this normal? Have others also felt worse before they started feeling better?

Thanks for any advice, it's much appreciated.
Hi there

first off you haven’t given yourself anything. There are many overweight people who don’t get T2 and sone slim who do. There is potentially a lot of causes

now, I was younger also (early 30s) and I lost a lot of weight quickly. It is a known symptom of T2, and although more often in T1, I’m not sure it’s incredibly uncommon, it’s listed as a symptom on the NHS and in my head it makes sense as certain drugs they give to help diabetes and weight loss encourage urination of extra sugar. So, If you are so high, you’re doing that accidentally, and it’s not healthy

but with age and that too it would be quite common to have further tests. You said they are leaning more to T2, did they test that for sure?

I hope things go well for you but feel free to ask questions and hopefully the low carb diet will help

KatMac1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I thought I'd post a bit of an update - a lot has happened in the last few days.

I am actually now being treated as a type 1 (or maybe LADA) - insulin, libre sensor etc.

It turns out I was meant to be referred urgently to the hospital, because although they thought it was type 2, there was a chance I was type 1. There was some mistake or miscommunication and basically this didn't happen. Luckily my ketones didn't get too high (1.4 mmol/L yesterday when tested at the hospital).

Once I was referred properly and saw the consultant, he said he was almost certain I was type 1 (but obviously they have done the tests to confirm - c-peptide + the various anti-body tests). So I was started on insulin and given a libre etc.

It's been a bit of a crazy week, going from fairly certain I was type 2, to being told I am type 1. Now just trying to sort out the madness that is insulin doses etc. etc. etc.

I also just wanted to say thank you to everyone for their kind comments and for making sure I double checked the diagnosis. Assuming it is type 1, I really could have ended up sick had I not got this sorted out.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Assuming it is type 1, I really could have ended up sick had I not got this sorted out.

Thanks very much for the update. Yes, missing a T1 diagnosis can be very dangerous so it's excellent that you have now (hopefully) got the correct one. (Lying in intensive care with DKA would definitely not be a fun way to spend Christmas.)

Though there is quite a lot to learn in order to manage insulin doses (my single piece of advice is to always have treatment for hypos with you) you don't have to learn it all straight away, and it will become easier with time. The treatment for new T1s is improving all the time.

Good luck with it all.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Thank heavens! Please consider getting an extension on your thesis while you get this sorted out. Good luck!