glasses

Knocker

hi

i have just been diagnosed as type 2 and the optician has told me i am border line reading glasses but i sit in front of a computer all day so will need them for work. i know my employer gives vouchers for glasses but i have an exemption certificate. does this mean i get free glasses or not. i am unsure.

Andy

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
If you do a lot of screen work your employer should pay for an eye test every 2 years. If you get a voucher that's a bonus!

If you have an HC2 help with health care costs certificate you get a certain amount towards the cost of glasses, also dental costs and prescriptions. I don't know whether a prescription costs exemption certificate covers anything except prescriptions.

As a pensioner I get free prescriptions and free eye tests; dental work still costs, so I have an HC2 for the dental and towards new contact lenses. It's means-tested.

Reading glasses: I buy mine from Tesco, ready-made! They are available from a lot of high street outlets, including chemists, and unless you have something very unusual about your eyes they are perfectly safe. I use them in every strength from 1.25 (reading, computer) to 2.50 (fine beadwork or detailed drawings). My optician tuts every time I tell him, and shakes his head at me, but has never told me that I might be doing damage - except to his bank balance! :lol: .

The ones I use cost about £3 a pair - beats prescription glasses evey time!

Viv 8)

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi knocker wlcome to the forum :)

By an exemption certificate do you mean one for free prescriptions as you are on medication for your diabetes? - if so then I am afraid you won't get your glasses free :cry: - we still have to pay for them although now you are diabetic you should get free eye tests

A word of caution if you are recently diagnosed - wait a while before you buy any prescription glasses - diabetes alters your eyes and if your BS numbers are/have been high and are coming down now you are treating the diabetes your eyes will alter again (this could be the reason that it "appears" you are borderline reading!)- it is worth waiting until your BS numbers have settled down and then getting retested.

If you feel you need something at the moment I agree with Viv the glasses you can buy in the shops for a couple of £'s will see you through ( :lol: no pun intended )- this is what I did as I went from low strength reading to needing reading and long distance after a test a couple of months into my diagnoses - 6 months later I was back to my old prescription - could have been a very costly mistake if I wasn't aware of the temporary changes to the eyes