1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

glasses

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Knocker, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Knocker

Knocker · Newbie

hi

i have just been diagnosed as type 2 and the optician has told me i am border line reading glasses but i sit in front of a computer all day so will need them for work. i know my employer gives vouchers for glasses but i have an exemption certificate. does this mean i get free glasses or not. i am unsure.

Andy

2. viviennem

viviennem Type 2 · Well-Known Member

If you do a lot of screen work your employer should pay for an eye test every 2 years. If you get a voucher that's a bonus!

If you have an HC2 help with health care costs certificate you get a certain amount towards the cost of glasses, also dental costs and prescriptions. I don't know whether a prescription costs exemption certificate covers anything except prescriptions.

As a pensioner I get free prescriptions and free eye tests; dental work still costs, so I have an HC2 for the dental and towards new contact lenses. It's means-tested.

Reading glasses: I buy mine from Tesco, ready-made! They are available from a lot of high street outlets, including chemists, and unless you have something very unusual about your eyes they are perfectly safe. I use them in every strength from 1.25 (reading, computer) to 2.50 (fine beadwork or detailed drawings). My optician tuts every time I tell him, and shakes his head at me, but has never told me that I might be doing damage - except to his bank balance! :lol: .

The ones I use cost about £3 a pair - beats prescription glasses evey time!

Viv 8)

3. lovinglife

lovinglife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi knocker wlcome to the forum :)

By an exemption certificate do you mean one for free prescriptions as you are on medication for your diabetes? - if so then I am afraid you won't get your glasses free :cry: - we still have to pay for them although now you are diabetic you should get free eye tests

A word of caution if you are recently diagnosed - wait a while before you buy any prescription glasses - diabetes alters your eyes and if your BS numbers are/have been high and are coming down now you are treating the diabetes your eyes will alter again (this could be the reason that it "appears" you are borderline reading!)- it is worth waiting until your BS numbers have settled down and then getting retested.

If you feel you need something at the moment I agree with Viv the glasses you can buy in the shops for a couple of £'s will see you through ( :lol: no pun intended )- this is what I did as I went from low strength reading to needing reading and long distance after a test a couple of months into my diagnoses - 6 months later I was back to my old prescription - could have been a very costly mistake if I wasn't aware of the temporary changes to the eyes

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook