Gliclazide and Dvla

Tvfm

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, been t2 for several years now, and was doing OK up until 8 months ago and it all went outta the window, anyhow attended dn yesterday and had gliclazinde doubled (and stern warning to check bloods regularly morning and night and also before driving as its a dvla requirement) and a mahoosive telling off, I have to attend a Desmond course, have bloods rechecked, BP is through the roof so more tablets for that. So all in all well and truly peed off.
Any how iv looked on the old interweb for info regarding the blood testing and Dvla but can't find much, have you guys got any links to info or experience?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Think your closing comment applies to PSV drivers, and Glic is not a notifiable medication.

True, for cars and bikes it says:
■ should practise appropriate glucose monitoring at times relevant to driving
However what that actually means could be open to interpretation :)

Reactions: Tvfm and SimonCrox

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
True, for cars and bikes it says:
■ should practise appropriate glucose monitoring at times relevant to driving
However what that actually means could be open to interpretation :)
The old guidelines used to stipulate Do not drive if under 5 (mmol/l) but the requirement to test before and during a journey was only applied to insulin users. We all have to report any severe hypo episodes that require assistance or that occur during driving. Most T2D on orals or diet do not get support for self testing, in fact it is generally discouraged, which is probably why DVLA came up with making us take responsiblity at all times. I have been on Glic for 4 years now and have had hypo's but not once were they requiring assistance or intervention. So I am still a licence holder over 70. I have just had my Glic stopped now since I have been declared in remission.

Reactions: Tvfm

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @Oldvatr for the reminder about the 'new' DVLA legislation. I note it says don't drive under 4 (as did the old one), and if under 5, take a snack (as did the old one). So, we can set off on a drive as long as it's over 4 (having had a snack). However if we check during our drive or two hours later and it is under 4, we stop (quite right) and have a snack. Then we are stuck until our levels go up to 5. Well that's me stuck on the side of the road for ever and a day then as my levels are often in the 4s and stay there and if I am under 4 and eat a snack, even that only takes me up into the 4s in 20 mins or so. To force it up over 5 I would have to eat more than a snack. I wonder why they have kept the start of the drive to 4 but the midst of a journey to 5? I suppose if you are hypo (under 4) and your snack only takes you to over 4, they are worried it might drop again?

Tvfm

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks all. I suose you can't test often enough really. The nurse said cos it's been doubled to the max dose I should carry my tester at all times.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks all. I suose you can't test often enough really. The nurse said cos it's been doubled to the max dose I should carry my tester at all times.
Good plan there.... I was on max dose (320mg) when I started using low carb diets. I was reduced gradually to 40 mg a day, but then increased it to 80 mg a day and went for a more relaxed diet plan as I became more carb tolerant. I am now being classed as in remission, and no longer need Glic. So for me the LC way has worked well. Eat to meter is a good mantra to take on board.

Reactions: Tvfm