gliclazide and itchyness

dwelldon

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been switched to gliclazide for a month or two now. Over the past couple of weeks I have been experiencing itchy back and stomach, is this a known side effect?

Has anyone else experienced this?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
I don't know if this is a gliclazide issue, but my T2 father has been having all sorts of issues with an itchy leg, and is on gliclazide plus lots of non diabetic drugs. I'd be very interested to hear if this is a gliclazide issue too.

dwelldon

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been doing some reading and it appears to be one of the side effects you can get. I'm off to doctors next week so hopefully he can shed light on it

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been switched to gliclazide for a month or two now. Over the past couple of weeks I have been experiencing itchy back and stomach, is this a known side effect?

Has anyone else experienced this?
Hello, yes I did experience this! It was very itchy on my neck, back, chest and lower arms. Sometimes could see few red dots but on whole not much of an obvious rash just intense itching every day! Then would fade a bit then start again. Went drs few times and all said stay on it until saw Endo in 3 months, as I’d worked my way through most meds they didn’t know what to do. Endo consultant said it can be a side effect for a few people. I stopped gliclazide and at first thought I’m still itching maybe it wasn’t that, but 2 weeks after no more itchy skin at all. For me whilst taking it for 3 months I itched most of time.
I hope for you the itching is short lived! It’s not fun, take care.

dwelldon

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well the doctor changed me over to xelevia. Will wait til the itching has gone. Hopefully won't be that long it's driving me mad

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well the doctor changed me over to xelevia. Will wait til the itching has gone. Hopefully won't be that long it's driving me mad
Best of luck! Once the itching has stopped, you forget what a nuisance it was! It drove me mad, I saw gp a few times about it but it was the consultant that said yes it can cause that. Took about 2 weeks after stopping for me to notice fully that I was no longer scratching at my skin! Bliss!
Well done for going and seeing them and finding something else to try.

Stace2310

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm on Glicazide and is experiencing itching especially at night, my foot, hands, scalp and chest. I now dread going to bed.