Gliclazide and Metformin

MaggieAnne

Had check up with Diabetic Nurse and she is pleased with my BG results which have come down to average of 6. Well done low carbs. But with 2 Metformin struggling with 'runs to the loo' so she has suggested 1 Metformin and 1 Gliclazide. Now experiencing 'weak and wobbly moments' very low blood sugar recording at 3. Going to have lunch now but this does not feel good. Is there anything better medication wise as Metformin was ok but increasing the dose was not? Any suggestions greatly received.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Discuss the dose of Glic with your doctor/nurse ,it is that that is making you weak and wobbly not the Metformin.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
MaggieAnne said:
Had check up with Diabetic Nurse and she is pleased with my BG results which have come down to average of 6. Well done low carbs. But with 2 Metformin struggling with 'runs to the loo' so she has suggested 1 Metformin and 1 Gliclazide. Now experiencing 'weak and wobbly moments' very low blood sugar recording at 3. Going to have lunch now but this does not feel good. Is there anything better medication wise as Metformin was ok but increasing the dose was not? Any suggestions greatly received.
Hi MaggieAnne,

With your BG levels coming down nicely on metformin, the last thing you needed was gliclazide because it would only cause hypos - which it has. Gliclazide is only supposed to be prescribed to patients whose BG is still going up despite the metformin! Ask your nurse to take you off gliclazide and instead put you onto the slow release version of metformin because this is less harsh on the stomach and is less likely to result in the runs.

MaggieAnne

Thanks for your quick advice. Dennis what you particularly said is what I am feeling. I have eaten lunch smoked salmon and cream cheese with 2 slices of bread and salad. My head was spinning and although feeling a little better after eating I am still not right and thats after nearly an hour.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Maggieanne.

Dennis's advice is absolutely spot on. You need to get your medication adjusted ASAP.
Make that appointment now or speak to the GP/Nurse by phone.

Ken.

Trinkwasser

cugila said:
Maggieanne.

Dennis's advice is absolutely spot on. You need to get your medication adjusted ASAP.
Make that appointment now or speak to the GP/Nurse by phone.

Ken.

Agreed! In the meantime you could use more carbs to get your BG back up out of the basement, but if you were to eat to feed the glic you would almost certainly put on weight and probably worsen your condition overall, so that's only a temporary strategy.

I've seen similar things happen in the States where they tend to use more medication at first, then fail to reduce it fast enough as they aren't used to patients improving so quickly!

MaggieAnne

Thanks everyone, all sorted. Spoke to nurse on phone and she asked me the readings - great eh she told me not to check myself - good job I took that advice with a pinch of salt :roll: I suggested how about the slow release Metformin and she has prescribed that and I have started that this morning. She has told me to take 1 for a fortnight and then up it to 2 for another 2 weeks to see how I 'stomach' that.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction for what to suggest. :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Glad to here you are finally on the way to getting sorted. Has the Glic been reduced at all ?

Ken.

Trinkwasser

Sounds good! Don't forget most of their experience is with people eating lethal amounts of carbs and hardly any fats so many medical professionals are lucky to see a Successful Diabetic . . .

cooljools

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been taken off slow-release metformin because it gave me very bad runs. I could hardly ever get to the loo fast enough when not home, so it was difficult going anywhere. They gave me gliclazide to see if it helps. The runs have disappeared straight away, so it was the metformin. But on reading this forum, I am concerned about it causing weight gain, plus destroying the rest of the insulin receptors. I am struggling to lose weight as it is, do lots of exercise, no time to fit any more in. Is there anything out there which doesn't cause weight gain, or the runs?

Yvonne8

Hi cooljools, in answer to your question I am on Januvia or sitagliptin as it is known, this drug does not make you put on weight but it is a newer drug so there are risks involved. However, I take it with Glucophage so unsure if it would be prescribed on its own.it is a shame you can't tolerate the metformin as this is the safest drug for you along with a reduced carb diet.

Yvonne8

Oh should have said that I too suffered with a really bad stomach even with the Glucophage but as soon as I got my serious head on and paid more attention to my diet the runs disappeared believe it or not and I'm not a VLC person though I try to aim for under 100g a day or there about. Would love to low carb but can't do it! Counting calories is working for me at the moment.

jwhiteside

I'm on Metformin and Gliclazide, but they had to put me on the slow release versions because of a terrible rash on my face and really bad wind, which has worked well.

It sounds like maybe the Gliclazide is a bridge too far, and you need to have a review of your meds. If I had a BG of 6 on Metformin alone, I'm not sure I'd want the Gliclazide too.

lelboy

Hmm, I have to say that my temporary problem with Metformin was just that - a few days and all's well on the stomach front!
I was given Gliclazide (1daily) to supplement the Metformin, but still not too good (6.9/8.8 typical). I was then given double Gliclazide, but it did give me problems with light-headedness etc - so it's down to 2 x Met + 1 x Glic and try to diet better!