Gliclazide causing low platelets (thrombocytopenia)

McHelen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anybody experienced thrombocytopenia as a side effect of taking Gliclazide?

I have developed a large bruise on the left side of abdomen and the Dr suspects a blood issue as a side effect of taking Gliclazide. Just waiting blood results, so getting the right medical advice.

Just seeking other folks experiences.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My sister had thrombocytopenia for years before she even developed t2.
Not sure that helps you but I've not heard of a link

Reactions: McHelen

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs

It's on the list of possible side effects, but that doesn't prove that it was caused by the gliclazide.

Last edited:
Reactions: McHelen and MrsA2

McHelen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, not good for your sister but good for me to know!

McHelen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's on the list of possible side effects, but that doesn't prove that it was caused by the gliclazide.
You are absolutely right, just waiting for the blood tests to come back. It is possible as I started Gliclazide on 5th May with 40mg and have been increasing to 120mg 7 days ago.
GP advice is to keep taking the medication until blood results come back but if the bleeding/bruising gets worse (nose bleeds, bleeding gums etc) call 111.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
From what I can glean from a brief search, diabetes itself increases the risk of platelets sticking together, thus presenting a increased risk of stroke or heart attack. in vitro (i.e. testube) studies show that gliclazide does act as an anticoagulant and this helps to protect us by reducing the chance of clots. But it can give rise to bleeding. Glic is not the only dibetic medication to be blamed for this. The FDA has quite a list of them including Metformin, The Glutides, the Gliflozins,

I am a stroke survivor, and I am on aspirin and another blood thinner anti platelet med on top of my Gliclazide. You may have difficulty finding a diabetic med that does not give this effect since it seems common to most of them.
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fphar.2021.670155/full

The altermative may be simple dietary changes instead of medication. Several of us here are having success with that aproach.

McHelen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From what I can glean from a brief search, diabetes itself increases the risk of platelets sticking together, thus presenting a increased risk of stroke or heart attack. in vitro (i.e. testube) studies show that gliclazide does act as an anticoagulant and this helps to protect us by reducing the chance of clots. But it can give rise to bleeding. Glic is not the only dibetic medication to be blamed for this. The FDA has quite a list of them including Metformin, The Glutides, the Gliflozins,

I am a stroke survivor, and I am on aspirin and another blood thinner anti platelet med on top of my Gliclazide. You may have difficulty finding a diabetic med that does not give this effect since it seems common to most of them.
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fphar.2021.670155/full

The altermative may be simple dietary changes instead of medication. Several of us here are having success with that aproach.
The more I research the more I am amazed that our bodies actually function at all given the complex bio-machine it is!!

Whilst I am not cutting out all carbs, I am low carbing and have lost 17lbs in the last 8 weeks. Unfortunately my BG is not coming down - high teens/low 20s with fasting levels of 11-12mmols. I do wonder if my recent diagnosis of multiple FNH lesions in my liver have something to do with the blood chemical cocktail!!!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
The more I research the more I am amazed that our bodies actually function at all given the complex bio-machine it is!!

Whilst I am not cutting out all carbs, I am low carbing and have lost 17lbs in the last 8 weeks. Unfortunately my BG is not coming down - high teens/low 20s with fasting levels of 11-12mmols. I do wonder if my recent diagnosis of multiple FNH lesions in my liver have something to do with the blood chemical cocktail!!!

You might want to ask for a cpeptide and GAD test, just to rule out LADA (late onset T1) instead of T2. Doctors will assume T2 unless there is some reason to doubt this, but between 5% and 10% of T2s are misdiagnosed T1s.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It would seem that there is a connection between FNH and glycogen storage disease, but the report I read did not infer causality either way. Some cases of FNH are also associated with thrombocytopenia but it does not appear to be common, so it may not be the gliclazide. Follow doctor advice since that is how they view FNH ( wait and see and view often seems to be the treatment path, since it is benign) Your high glucose could be because your liver is not able to store it away so easily. So carb cutting would seem to make sense. You may benefit from intermittent fasting.

McHelen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It would seem that there is a connection between FNH and glycogen storage disease, but the report I read did not infer causality either way. Some cases of FNH are also associated with thrombocytopenia but it does not appear to be common, so it may not be the gliclazide. Follow doctor advice since that is how they view FNH ( wait and see and view often seems to be the treatment path, since it is benign) Your high glucose could be because your liver is not able to store it away so easily. So carb cutting would seem to make sense. You may benefit from intermittent fasting.
Thank you, IF is a good idea.