Type 2 Gliclazide Lethargy

type two paul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
I've been on Gliclazide for 5 weeks now (40mg twice daily) and they really make me even more lethargic than I was before and generally make me feel cr*p. On some occasions I felt quite giddy on my feet but wasn't hypo on the BGs. I've slowly come off them in last week and feel better. I am also on Dapagliflozin which is helping keep my BG down even without the Gliclazide. I never got on with Metformin either (even slow release). Maybe Dapagliflozin is the one for me as it gets rid of glucose via the kidneys. I will find out over time. Maybe my Pancreas is just not up to it. Has anybody else had side effects from Gliclazide. I'm sure it works great for some. Cheers

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been on Gliclazide for 5 weeks now (40mg twice daily) and they really make me even more lethargic than I was before and generally make me feel cr*p. On some occasions I felt quite giddy on my feet but wasn't hypo on the BGs. I've slowly come off them in last week and feel better. I am also on Dapagliflozin which is helping keep my BG down even without the Gliclazide. I never got on with Metformin either (even slow release). Maybe Dapagliflozin is the one for me as it gets rid of glucose via the kidneys. I will find out over time. Maybe my Pancreas is just not up to it. Has anybody else had side effects from Gliclazide. I'm sure it works great for some. Cheers
Glic gave me hypo's, but that's about all. Though they were no fun at all. And by the way, your blood sugars may not have registered a hypo, but your body can certainly feel like it's having one when your BG goes lower than what it is used to. Feels like a hypo, and not distinguishable from the real thing other than when you measure, but False Hypo's are a thing. You get used to lower/normal bloodsugars and those'll go away though.

You mention a whole lot of medications, but have you heard of our Lord and Saviour, the Low Carb Diet? ;) Seriously though... I'm sensitive to side effects, so I hear you. I mean, metformin was hell, and I wanted to be shed of the Glic, so I tried the diet route. Have been in the normal range ever since (and my blood sugars used to be well into the 20's. Now I feel queezy when they go to up to a seven, or even a 6,5). https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html have a read, maybe it'll click for you. If you're interested, check this place's website (diabetes.co.uk , not .org!), dietdoctor.com and Dr. Jason Fung's book The Diabetes Code, or his (free) youtube video's. Those might help you along and you could possibly manage to avoid more meds.

Good luck eh, hope you feel better!

type two paul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Glic gave me hypo's, but that's about all. Though they were no fun at all. And by the way, your blood sugars may not have registered a hypo, but your body can certainly feel like it's having one when your BG goes lower than what it is used to. Feels like a hypo, and not distinguishable from the real thing other than when you measure, but False Hypo's are a thing. You get used to lower/normal bloodsugars and those'll go away though.

You mention a whole lot of medications, but have you heard of our Lord and Saviour, the Low Carb Diet? ;) Seriously though... I'm sensitive to side effects, so I hear you. I mean, metformin was hell, and I wanted to be shed of the Glic, so I tried the diet route. Have been in the normal range ever since (and my blood sugars used to be well into the 20's. Now I feel queezy when they go to up to a seven, or even a 6,5). https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html have a read, maybe it'll click for you. If you're interested, check this place's website (diabetes.co.uk , not .org!), dietdoctor.com and Dr. Jason Fung's book The Diabetes Code, or his (free) youtube video's. Those might help you along and you could possibly manage to avoid more meds.

Good luck eh, hope you feel better!

Thanks for your feedback. Yes I have been trying to lessen the carbs etc but I'm not as disciplined as some people. Yes, I hear what you're saying about the false hypo as my BG did drop quite a lot. Thanks

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you monitoring your levels before and after you eat?

type two paul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Are you monitoring your levels before and after you eat?
Not always. I try and do them start and end of day. They are between about 7 and 10 which is an improvement for me even though still a bit high. Thanks

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your feedback. Yes I have been trying to lessen the carbs etc but I'm not as disciplined as some people. Yes, I hear what you're saying about the false hypo as my BG did drop quite a lot. Thanks
Well, discipline or no... If you know what the problem is, you can make more informed choices. Go for the cake with coffee, or just have the coffee with some whipped cream? Big pile of rice, or less rice and a bit more veg and meat? You don't have to go hardcore keto, or even carnivorous which is pretty much entirely carb free... Any improvement is good at this point. And can be achieved with something as simple as snacking on cheese, pork scratchings, sausages and olives in the evening instead of a bag of crisps for instance. (I know what I'd rather have, actually... As the half eaten huge hunk of excellent aged hard goat's cheese in my fridge testifies to). A diet, or as we more often put it, a lifestyle change, can seem pretty overwhelming. Heck, it is overwhelming. But making some minor adjustments here and there... Not nearly as painful. But when it comes down to it? You just work out what works for you. If that's trying new meds, then that's your thing. We're all different, we all have different needs, both mentally and physically. You go with whatever works for you.

Reactions: type two paul

type two paul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Well, discipline or no... If you know what the problem is, you can make more informed choices. Go for the cake with coffee, or just have the coffee with some whipped cream? Big pile of rice, or less rice and a bit more veg and meat? You don't have to go hardcore keto, or even carnivorous which is pretty much entirely carb free... Any improvement is good at this point. And can be achieved with something as simple as snacking on cheese, pork scratchings, sausages and olives in the evening instead of a bag of crisps for instance. (I know what I'd rather have, actually... As the half eaten huge hunk of excellent aged hard goat's cheese in my fridge testifies to). A diet, or as we more often put it, a lifestyle change, can seem pretty overwhelming. Heck, it is overwhelming. But making some minor adjustments here and there... Not nearly as painful. But when it comes down to it? You just work out what works for you. If that's trying new meds, then that's your thing. We're all different, we all have different needs, both mentally and physically. You go with whatever works for you.
I agree entirely. The nurse even said it's my choice if I want to try the meds or not, so it's been a bit experimental. Like you say, we're all different.