Gliclazide with vildagliptin

William Ethan

i'm searching with my doctor to add-on therapy in combination with Gliclazide. i was on metformin for years but it causes persistent diarrhea. So now my doctor suggested vildagliptin(galvus) with Gliclazide(diamicron MR). when i'm searching on the internet i found the combination of glimepiride(amaryl) with vildagliptin is widespread combination but Gliclazide with vildagliptin i didn't find anything about this combination. so my question is : is it safe to take this combination (Gliclazide with vildagliptin)?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I was on Gliclazide with Sitagliptin for few years. Sitagliptin is in the same family of Gliptins as Vidagliptin. They are safe to use together. The gliptins increase the amount of insulin at a meal by blocking an enzyme that in turn normally switches off insulin. Gliclazide stimulates the pancreas to produce more insulin. Note that when you have bowel problems with Metformin you should try the Slow Release version Metformin SR (or MR). Gliclazide and the Gliptins do not do the same job as Metformin and not the best solution if you have a lot of excess weight thru insulin resistance.

shaz5a

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm on gliclazide with Dulagtulide(Trulicity) and my hbA1c is down to 61 last week from 95 in February. Hoping that the consultant will reduce my gliclazide at my appt next month as I'm struggling to lose any weight on it

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have used Gliclazide with Linagliptin and had no problem except when long distance walking which reduced my weight and started to produce hypos. I unilaterally stopped the Gliclazide, I was abroad and had no one to consult, the hypos went away. I finished the walk and on return to the UK the diabetes nurse agreed with my decision on the Gliclazide and stopped prescribing both Linagliptin and Gliclazide.

steve1972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm on gliclazide with Dulagtulide(Trulicity) and my hbA1c is down to 61 last week from 95 in February. Hoping that the consultant will reduce my gliclazide at my appt next month as I'm struggling to lose any weight on it

I'm on the same combination - along with Metformin & also struggle with Gliclazide & weight.....

I was previously on Gliclazide & Sittagliptin - I gained almost 10kgs in that period.