Gliclazide

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been diagnosed with T2 8 weeks ago and I was told to take gliclazide with metformin in the morning if bloods were over 8 over the past week or so my bloods have been 9.5 in the morning so taking gliclazide which I’ve noticed has been increasing my sugar level rather than bring it down does any one else have this issue I’m seeing the nurse tomorrow and will ask her just thought I’d see if anyone else was finding the same thing

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been diagnosed with T2 8 weeks ago and I was told to take gliclazide with metformin in the morning if bloods were over 8 over the past week or so my bloods have been 9.5 in the morning so taking gliclazide which I’ve noticed has been increasing my sugar level rather than bring it down does any one else have this issue I’m seeing the nurse tomorrow and will ask her just thought I’d see if anyone else was finding the same thing
That's the first time I've heard of glic being taken "as needed", really, rather than a steady daily dose... And no idea whether it can actually up things, but if you're seeing a 9.5 and you have a "normal" breakfast (like cereal, porridge, weetabix or toast for instance), you're certain to go higher anyway, with the glic not yet working and you throwing more carbs on the fire because from what it looks like, no-one bothered to tell you not to. Very, very curious guidance you've been given. Very curious indeed...

https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html This is a quick basic thing about T2 and diet, the effect it has and what you can do yourself. Don't mix low carb with glic though without testing your heart out, because hypo's are most decidedly not fun!

Good luck!
Jo

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hello and welcome to the forum

One quick question to start:
It would be very helpful to know what you eat on an average day.