Type 2 Glipizide IR to improve dawn effect.

Raindog1881

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wondering if anyone out there has taken both Glipizide ER and IR in the same day. I'm trying to improve my dawn effect spike; I would like to take the IR before breakfast (I would have to take the ER in the middle of the night to be effective) and ER after to control sugar throughout the day. If I could control the dawn effect spike I could get my A1C close to 6.

• Creative
Reactions: Antje77

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Raindog1881 and welcome to the forum. It is against forum rules to give advice on drug dosages etc…. I can only advise you ask your diabetes nurse or doctor.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Wondering if anyone out there has taken both Glipizide ER and IR in the same day. I'm trying to improve my dawn effect spike; I would like to take the IR before breakfast (I would have to take the ER in the middle of the night to be effective) and ER after to control sugar throughout the day. If I could control the dawn effect spike I could get my A1C close to 6.
How much testing have you done to work out the exact action times for both types of gliclazide on your body?

I have very little experience with gliclazide but I do have with using an unusual combination of insulins to get the most out of the traits of both,

Whatever you do, be careful, gliclazide can cause hypos so at all times be prepared to treat one, no matter where you are.

Edited by mods to confirm to forum rules

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: TheSecretCarbAddict

TheSecretCarbAddict

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you looked at dietary interventions like low carb (LC) diet? The screenshot with higher glucose trends shows my blood glucose (BG) levels before I started about 6 weeks ago. The one with lower trends is from today. I was on the maximum daly dose of Gliclazide (320mg), which is the same class of drugs as Glipizide. That's alongside Metformin, Dapagliflozin, and Trulicity. On both graphs I have highlighted my first meal of the day. On the first graph, you can see very pronounced morning jump in BG levels despite my attempts to try and optimise Gliclazide by taking the last dose just before sleep and the first one on waking. The second graph is me almost a week off Gliclazide altogether, still taking other diabetes meds but following quite strict LC diet (only consuming about 20-25g of carbs a day) and intermittent fasting (only eating during a few hour window in the afternoon and trying to have my last meal before 6-7pm). This might not work for you, and it is quite an intensive intervention, but I've been really impressed with the results and impact on my morning BG given I've been diagnosed T2 for over 16 years.
Screenshot_20240416_230320.jpg
Screenshot_20240416_230548.jpg