GLP-1s And Gallbladder Disease

alimar77

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone.

I first started on a GLP-1 back in 2010, great for BG control, terrible for pain. Back then gallbladder pain was not a listed side effect. Apart from loss of appetite, the only other side effect was pain in my right hand side. And of course some weight loss!

I’ve been on three different GLP-1s. Victoza (Liraglutide), Bydureon (Exenatide) and Semaglutide (Ozempic) Started them in 2010 and last took in 2019.

I connected my pain to the drug, as when I ceased the drug the pain would stop. Eventually I went for an ultrasound scan in 2012 and was told I had no gallstones. What I wasn’t told back then was I did have an inflamed gallbladder. I was only told this when a diabetic consultant brought up the results in 2019, when she was sending me for another scan. In 2019 I was on Semaglutide and the pain was horrendous. A new ultrasound scan showed gallstones and immediately the Semaglutide was stopped as it’s contraindicated in those with gallstones. I was told I wouldn’t be able to restart any GLP-1 unless my gallbladder was removed.

As you may know GLP-1s promote weight loss and fast weight loss can lead to gallstones! I have managed to lose 50kg when I was on GLP-1s. And the weight has stayed off!

Nowadays gallbladder disease and stones is a listed side effect of GLP-1s.

Cue years of pain and flare ups. In January this year I had horrendous pain, a further scan revealed a gallstone was stuck in my bile duct.I needed a MRCP to remove this, normally after this small minor procedure the gallbladder is removed a few weeks later so another stone doesn’t flip into the bile duct!

However, the surgeon decided before I even walked in the consulting room he was not doing either procedure as my BMI was too high, no discussion or anything with me, yet NICE Guidelines don’t make any reference to BMI! It clearly states active symptoms should be treated! I just feel fobbed off! The risk with a stuck stone that is not removed is it could lead to sepsis and pancreatitis!

For the last 7 months my pain in my gallbladder has been horrendous, it’s affecting every aspect of my life and daily living, and as a full time carer it’s really impacting everything!

I’m curious to speak to others who may have developed gallbladder problems after being on GLP-1s in the UK? And if you have been treated for it? I am aware that in the USA there are legal cases happening for those who have developed gallbladder disease with GLP-1s.

It’s all well and good putting us on these meds, but I never had problems with pain or my gallbladder before GLP-1s and yet the NHS won’t treat my problem!

I am beyond angry!

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A salutary warning, and I am sorry you have to suffer from what appears to be a medication triggered ailment. But it is not just the GLP-1 incretin mimetics. This warning should also apply to users of DPP-4 inhibitor meds, and SGLT-2 medications that also act by increasing GLP-1 activity. all these meds list pancreatitis as a rare side effect, but do not warn of gall bladder issues. But any thing that slows metbolism has the potential to cause gall bladder issues. Even diet changes such as startng a Low Carb diet, can trigger these issues, as can any diet that increases or decreases fat intake. (again LCHF has been associated wth increased risk of gallstones) i can undertand LCHF because the extra level of fat increases bile release, and this can dislodge stones that have built up over the years. I had a gallstone release earlier this year, but thankfully the increased bile was able to usher it out of the duct so the problem was solved in a short time.

I feel sorry for people now that Ozempic et al are being doled out like sweeties and wonder cures to everybody that breathes or moves. it is clear that there is a lessening of control and monitoring of the effects of these medications, so unless there is a sudden outbreak of severe issues, it will flow under the bridge of life without causing upset to the health service or the drug makers

alimar77

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
A salutary warning, and I am sorry you have to suffer from what appears to be a medication triggered ailment. But it is not just the GLP-1 incretin mimetics. This warning should also apply to users of DPP-4 inhibitor meds, and SGLT-2 medications that also act by increasing GLP-1 activity.

Thanks for your reply. I’ve been on two SGLT-2 medications, but both for a very short time.

Dapagliflozin within days caused DKA and I ended up in hospital. Empagliflozin also caused a milder case of DKA which I was not even aware of, ketones were picked up when I was admitted to hospital for something else. So I can no longer be prescribed them.

I agree people being able to buy these GLP-1s like sweets are really putting themselves at risk. Admittedly for me they gave fantastic BG control and whilst I experienced some nausea and loss of appetite I was not actually sick, and I’ve read some horror stories!

Reactions: miriamy

jocksanon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Liraglutide/Semaglutide battle: Diabetes Benefits v Weight Loss - WHO WILL WIN?

I've decided that I will reduce the demand from patients with diabetes who might benefit from taking Liraglutide or Semaglutide. The stress and anxiety caused by supply failures is more than the benefit from the drugs.

The global supply issues, with these drugs being bought under the counter for weight loss, are not being managed by manufacturers. A recent search revealed private clinics offering these drugs for over £170 per pen. That is profiteering.

Having considered:
1. The personal benefits to me, measured in less stress and anxiety, is far more valuable than the benefits of using either drug.

2. My opinion of Novo Nordisk is badly tainted, they are on one side of the dividing line between morality and profiteering. Showing a lack of support for patients with diabetes reveals a damning attitude undermining patients with diabetes.

3. I will stop using liraglutide (Victoza), after changing from Semaglutide (Ozempic) due to the same supply issues, to reduce demand. Economics is a powerful tool which will level the playing field.

Sadly, Novo Nordisk will lose the potential of supplying me for a lifetime.

• Agree
Reactions: Rachox

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Especially now that these drugs are going to be offered as a prophylactic to stave off heart disease, heart failure, and strokes, along with the extended possibility that they will be used for smoking cessation and ADHD in kids and general drug addiction reduction makes them the true miracle drug that cures all evils (except greed) I see they are trialling it as a cancer cure too.

Guess who is performing all these scientific studies? The drug makers. And who pays for the trials? The drug makers. and who writes up the conclusions and results part of the reports? And who is increasing the price of the drugs to pay for building new industrial complexes to make and distribute these SOMA look-alikes? Dunno, but I can guess.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Just a gentle reminder that the topic of this thread is
"GLP-1s and Gallbladder disease" from a T2 member of the forum. The mod team is prepared to delete posts that derail the topic.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just a gentle reminder that the topic of this thread is
"GLP-1s and Gallbladder disease" from a T2 member of the forum. The mod team is prepared to delete posts that derail the topic.
Yoiur wish is my command

And this is just looking at the new kid on the block (Ozempic). There are other GLP-1 meds such as Victoza, Byetta et al that work in a similar way but have a shorter half life.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here is a similar study done for Tirzeptide, which is an even newer kid on the block but doing the same thing

Note AE in this study stands for Adverse Event which includes gastro intestinal discomfort and nausea.

it claims gall bladder issues are rare, but the study itself is small (6836) and not necessarily reflecting the general public. So I would say they are being hopeful or looking in the crystal ball. also with several different doses, then the test sample size is at least halved so claiming for all doses being rare is on thin ground IMO. The duration of the trials is not declared and again this weakens their claim. I am of the opinion that they jumped too early and that more research is required to validate these claims.

And another referring to Tirzepatide

Note Tirzepatide is not yet approved by the FDA and is not yet on general release. It is a mix of Semaglutide and another drug for weight loss.

• Informative
Reactions: EllieM