Gluco Meters

Laconic

Hi my sister was diagnosed type 2 recently and told she needed to change diet and take metformin, she’s not keen on medication so is going down the diet route alone.
I brought her a gluco meter, but her diabetic nurse has advised her not to use one, only if she was on medication.
I was told not to use when I came off Gliclazide.

I’ve found the advice of this forum to check with. Gluco meter invaluable and the reason why I’ve reversed my type2, and being able to check which foods I tolerate well.

I don’t understand why some health workers are against finger prick self monitoring?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don’t understand why some health workers are against finger prick self monitoring?
I have a suspicion they may be told not to suggest it because that if they did tell you that you should test then people would say 'ok can you put it on my prescription then?' and then the nurses/docs would have tor refuse as many practices/CGGs will not allow them to be provided for Type2's (unless on insulin or other blood glucose lowering drugs)

Note: these are just my thoughts so may be entirely untrue in reality

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Note: these are just my thoughts so may be entirely untrue in reality

It is my opinion that some health workers follow the party line and do not recommend using a BG meter and therefore don't have to refuse test strip prescriptions for type IIs.

My DN is different, she will recommend testing, but can't prescribe test strips. It's down to money at the end of the day.

At least by checking my BG I don't get any surprises when it comes to having an HbA1c done.