Glucogen - the morning after

SewK8

Hello
I have just had the night from hell. I woke up to my husband administering hypostop and glucose solution. While I was unconscious he also gave me glucogen in my arm.

I now feel as though I have been hit by a train and feel sick and dizzy not to mention a killer headache.

My question is; is it the glucogen making me feel ill or the after effects of a very bad hypo?

Do I need to inform my DSN that I had to have the jab? Diabetic for 28 yrs and have never had to have this before.
Kat

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Nausea and sickness seem to be the most common side-effect of the injection, the headache I would imagine will be because your bg levels dropped so low, if in doubt and you continue to feel unwell then seek medical help.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
SewK8 said:
Hello
I have just had the night from hell. I woke up to my husband administering hypostop and glucose solution. While I was unconscious he also gave me glucogen in my arm.

I now feel as though I have been hit by a train and feel sick and dizzy not to mention a killer headache.

My question is; is it the glucogen making me feel ill or the after effects of a very bad hypo?

Do I need to inform my DSN that I had to have the jab? Diabetic for 28 yrs and have never had to have this before.
Kat

Hi Kat .

Poor you - yes it can knock the stuffing out of you having a severe hypo .
Took me 3-4 days to feel proper again after mine ...
Awful when it happens - I know!
I told my GP's about mine and he packed me off with 2 [two] scripts of glucogen
to have in the house [fridge]

If it would give you more peace of mind - do mention it to your DSN .
Especially after going 28yrs without an episode as bad as last nights .
You will possibly NEED replacement box of glucogen to replace the one your husband used on you
Something to consider asking for ?

The headache and sicky feeling can be related to the extremes of hypo plus the
glucogen glucose shot given to you .
The brain feels the effects of the hypo - hence your headache .
Nausea or feeeling queasy can linger a bit also .
You may feel quite wiped out today still ...
Try taking things easy , keep cool in this heat best you can .
Remember to keep checking your BG levels and drink plenty of fluids too .
Any concerns - do call for help please .

Anna .

SewK8

Hello

Thanks for the replies.

Anna, I feel really rough and it feels like its going to take a few days to recover.
Bloods have been between 10 and 14 which I am going to stick with for a while as I am now frightened of going low.

I have slept most if the day so hope I feel normal soon.

Carro

No, I find I feel like this too. Hung over is the term I use and it does go eventually, but is not pleasant at the time, but better than ending up in hospital. Glugogen is an amazing resusitator, (sorry, spelling!) but I think that one comes round so fast, that the system takes time to adjust.
Hope you feel better now. Best wishes - perhaps reduce the insulin at night slightly?

Carro

fifi1982

it's probably a mix of the 2, most people with a low end up with high sugars later. Not so much with a slight low but a pretty bad one, can be pretty scary waking up like that too had this a couple of times

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Competitive sport. I'm more of a for fun type person.
I was so ill after I had glucogen.

I always get really bad migraines after a really bad hypo, so that's probably why you have the headache. Your brain was starved of energy.

As for feeling sick, yes that's normal. Takes me ages to recover.

I'm so sorry you had to go through this. How is your husband? Mine was so shaken often my first major low like that.

Rest. Give your body time to recover.

candiloo

This hypostop stuff is too much sugar in one hit - I had some when I was ill and sick and had to go to hospital as I had thrown up my breakfast for which I had injected, therefore my level went down. The ambulance crew gave it to me. It shot my level up and was 28 at one point. You just need to make sure you take the correct dosage before bed in this weather or even maybe a little less - especially if we are all tossing and turning in the night due to the heat. I keep glucose by the bed, but if you were unconscious maybe just the injection would have helped then got you to eat something and come back gradually. I had a headache from it and it made me bad tempered all day too.