Glucophage

shirleya2009

Hi I was diagnosed with type 2 in September and was given metformin 500 grams 2 x daily and already take blood pressure meds and aspirin as I have a history of TIA's. My dose was increased to two times 500 am and pm when my last blood test was still at 53; (this machine keeps correcting my spelling so I need to say it was the test over the past two month)s. I had a tummy problem with metformin so my doctor swapped me to Glucophage and I take 4 with my evening meal. Now I am sick after eating the following morning, and my tummy feels like it's been used as a football ,anyone have any ideas ,just feel like stopping taking everything and introducing them all back slowly as my system gets used to the changes. :(

joeynomates

Hiya.

Glucophage is just another name for Metformin. I have trouble taking the slow released stuff!! I would take two 500mg twice a day and would be in agony by the time I had my evening meal, Gastric trouble at it's best would be the polite way of putting it!!

Some people are OK with it. I'm not one of those, sadly. I do also feel like stopping it all because I have trouble with other stuff too, including insulin. Sorry I can't be of much help, but I do share your frustration.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
shirleya2013 said:
Hi I was diagnosed with type 2 in September and was given metformin 500 grams 2 x daily and already take blood pressure meds and aspirin as I have a history of TIA's. My dose was increased to two times 500 am and pm when my last blood test was still at 53; (this machine keeps correcting my spelling so I need to say it was the test over the past two month)s. I had a tummy problem with metformin so my doctor swapped me to Glucophage and I take 4 with my evening meal. Now I am sick after eating the following morning, and my tummy feels like it's been used as a football ,anyone have any ideas ,just feel like stopping taking everything and introducing them all back slowly as my system gets used to the changes. :(

If I took all four at the same time, I would feel rough too :sick: ... spread them out across your meals and you will definately notice an improvement. Get them changed to Glucophage SR (slow release type) and cope even better.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, you need Glucophage SR (or just Metformin SR or MR). There are Slow Release or Modified Release.