Glucosamine and condroitin

johnaddison

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have just read a report in Which? Magazine saying that glucosamine and condroitin can interfere with medications taken for diabetes and cholesterol. I am on metformin and simvastatin and take this supplement every day Should I be concerned?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just read a report in Which? Magazine saying that glucosamine and condroitin can interfere with medications taken for diabetes and cholesterol. I am on metformin and simvastatin and take this supplement every day Should I be concerned?

I don't take any of those things, but know folks who swear by glucosamine and condroiton for their arthritis, but they aren't diabetic. Sorry, that's not helpful!

To be honest, your question is one for your Doc. How long have you been been taking both lots of medication, and how is your control? Are your numbers in range?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Either your GP or any Pharmacist should be better placed than we are to help with this question.

Welcome to the forum. Have a good read round.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did Which state how they interefered ?

I've taken glucosamine and chondroitin for donkey's years - and well prior to being fed statins or being diagnosed as T2. I refused statins eventually and am no longer taking metformin, but I was never aware of any issues when I was taking them all together. However, you should definitely see your GP/pharmacist for advice if you're concerned.

Robbity