Glucose and Sugar in Urine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all

I am a T2 and have been having some blood in urine. They did a dipstic test today and found glucose +++ and Ketos + (whatever the +++'s mean).

I am not surprised there is glucose as I have been eating badly these last few weeks but I am worried about the Ketos.

Has anybody else had this ? How bad is this ?

And my results don't seem to show an actual reading just + and +++ beside them. Any ideas ?

Julie

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
In some cases for keytones there is 3 ratings 1 being the lowest 3 the highest and dangerous. People on a keto diet would sim to be level 1

I assume one + means that the 2 and 3

So I assume high level glucose low level ketones is not enough to warrant a hospital stay but enough to warn you that you need to get on track

I’d assume with that much glucose in urine that you bg will be quite high

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello all

I am a T2 and have been having some blood in urine. They did a dipstic test today and found glucose +++ and Ketos + (whatever the +++'s mean).

I am not surprised there is glucose as I have been eating badly these last few weeks but I am worried about the Ketos.

And my results don't seem to show an actual reading just + and +++ beside them. Any ideas ?

Julie

Hi Julie, what did they tell you? Were you sent away with no information or any idea of what you should be doing? I think you should re contact them and ask them what it all means. As said above high ketones plus high glucose levels can be dangerous and lead to a life threatening condition (DKA). This can actually apply to type 1 OR type 2. Dietary ketones are different again, have you been following a keto diet? There are all sorts of scenarios and reasons but none of us know what is going on in your case, could be nothing, could be something, etc. Please get onto your GP (or was it the hospital?) and ask them for a detailed explanation of your results and what you are supposed to do next. Meanwhile, do you have the means to test your own glucose levels to see what your level actually is? x

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Quite frankly if the results of a dipstick were concerning they “should” have done more than a screening by urine and ordered blood tests and not to do so would be negligence. Hopefully the fact “they” didn’t should mean it is not urgent. Who is the “they”?

The + indicate a little, some and a lot. It’s rough and ready screening and indicative of further testing, or not - not precise.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Blood in the urine needs to be taken seriously and you need a full diabetes review with both blood and urine tests. You don't say what your last HBA1C was or current meter readings. Make sure you find out all your last results and have further tests. To be honest it worries me that the surgery did a dipstick test. That's fine if it's followed by the normal review tests. My surgery would go straight to blood and urine sample tests and not do a dipstick.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Hello all

Julie
Just a thought but what meds do you take?
When I was on forxiga they made a big point in saying you will have sugar in your urine because that’s how it works. It reduces your bloody sugars by peeing them out.
Might be completely irrelevant.