Glucose levels high, started daily monitoring

Zoe C

Hi all, new to this site and in a bit of a panic I'm a 45 year old female type 2 and been on 2000mg Metformin for about 8 years. Last review I scored 8.6% so nurse has asked me to monitor glucose levels. They're bad 11 on waking and up and down during day depending on what I eat. So frustrated as I've been hammering gym and really cut down food last few months. Lost 2" off waist and a few pounds. Pains in feet and palpitations in gutted. Nurse wants to add in another tablet depending on my results which she doesn't know yet. I'm just worried it's dangerous but I've kept going gym as I love it. Any advice off anyone would be greatly appreciated x

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Long-term use of Metformin can lead to vitamin B12 deficiency which may lead to nerve damage and also affect the HbA1c test results. You should try to get this checked out since it is a documented side effect of that med, Also get your folate and ferritin levels checked,

It is not unusual for the doctor or nurse to add in a second medication to help reduce the sugars. It is the next step on the journey unless you can reduce the levels yourself by employing lifestyle changes, Even if you are given a second med you could probably still get to reduce the sugars by other means, and drop it at a later date, So keep up the gym, do more walking, and seriously look at the diet threads on this forum. There are several styles of diet plans that you can try to directly affect your blood sugar levels, IMO that is the way to go - eat yourself healthy the diabetic way,

Reactions: EllieM

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You say you have reduced your food but not said in what way? Have you reduced the carbs which are the main cause of BS and weight gain? If you are slim it's possible you are a late onset T1/LADA and not T2. If so then do ask the GP for the two tests GAD and C-Peptide. I've been on Metformin SR for 20 years and much of that at 2000gm. I do take vitamin pills in case I'm low on anything but have never had any problems. Most of the other pill options are not dangerous.