Glucose levels

Abbybarford

Hi everyone just looking for a bit of advice. I gave birth about 9 weeks ago and my glucose levels haven't been the best. My diabetic nurse told me to run them high (around 10) for a few weeks to get my hypo awareness back but I'm now struggling to get them back to normal.

How long did it take you to get your glucose back to normal after birth? My current hba1c is 6.8% so I'm not sure if that's normal or not

Thanks in advance

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Abbybarford Congratulations for your new one.

It takes quite a while for your hormones to level them selves out after birth, particularly if you're breast feeding too, so things will be unpredictable for anything up to a year, I feel your nurse is simply giving you a safety net to work with particularly if you've lost your hypo awareness. Have you been given a libre to help with your glucose monitoring ?

I was gestational when I had my child then developed type 1 about 3 years later, so cannot comment on how long it takes to come back to normal, tagging @Diakat who may be able to offer some insight on this.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi Abby,

Congratulations on a safe arrival.

6.8% is around 50 so pretty good considering the hormone onslaught. It’s not below the “magic” 48 but in no way high enough for you to panic.

With breast feeding I was on a sugar rollercoaster. But as time went on it did calm down as my sleep improved. I can’t give you a timeline - so much blurs with time.

Talk to your nurse if you are worried or if you are having bad hypos. Or dropping awareness.