Gluten free oats for breakfast!

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
G'day all. I woke with my FBG at 13.4... which I took as my first Glucose count...had a bowl of GF oats for breakfast... was 13.6 at one hour.... and a fabulous 10.6 at two hours! I have been craving porridge for a couple of weeks and when I saw some in the shop yesterday, I grabbed it. I am so pleased that it seems I will be able to eat it! Mr E made it with cream diluted to a milk consistency and it was delicious! It is good to know I can have it as an alternative. Yaaaay!

Reactions: Judlepip

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
If it works for you, but sowwwwy to burst your bubble, that would be way too high for some folk and me, blimey I worry when my meter says 8. something.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It would be interesting to see what happens when you get your blood glucose levels down near normal levels.

Adding the cream will slow the digestion process.

Porridge is a baddie for me in every way , shape or form!

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
If it works for you, but sowwwwy to burst your bubble, that would be way too high for some folk and me, blimey I worry when my meter says 8. something.
Don't worry about bursting my bubble @dawnmc I know they are high readings, I am working on getting them down. But it does take time...as you know! Later in the day I will be down around 5-6.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Don't worry about bursting my bubble @dawnmc I know they are high readings, I am working on getting them down. But it does take time...as you know! Later in the day I will be down around 5-6.

Just an idea, have some more porridge when you get down to around the 5-6 reading.

That will give you a clue what porridge does to you!

Bellatom

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I had a sachet of dorset cereals porridge admitting not the largest portion but kept me full from 9.00am to 14.00hrs . Pre g/l was 5.7 2hrs post 6.5 which I dont think is too bad.

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I had a sachet of dorset cereals porridge admitting not the largest portion but kept me full from 9.00am to 14.00hrs . Pre g/l was 5.7 2hrs post 6.5 which I dont think is too bad.
Thank you Bellatom. That is good to hear, that is a good reading.

Judlepip

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hey
G'day all. I woke with my FBG at 13.4... which I took as my first Glucose count...had a bowl of GF oats for breakfast... was 13.6 at one hour.... and a fabulous 10.6 at two hours! I have been craving porridge for a couple of weeks and when I saw some in the shop yesterday, I grabbed it. I am so pleased that it seems I will be able to eat it! Mr E made it with cream diluted to a milk consistency and it was delicious! It is good to know I can have it as an alternative. Yaaaay!
Hi @ellagy . Where can you buy GFO? That would be a joy I love my oats and seeds breakfast, but daren't have it daily 'cos of carbs.

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Hey

Hi @ellagy . Where can you buy GFO? That would be a joy I love my oats and seeds breakfast, but daren't have it daily 'cos of carbs.
Hi Julie... I bought them in a local Farm Shop But I think you can get them online from Glebe Farm Try googling that! :)

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hey

Oats are naturally gluten free, (although there are articles claiming they shouldn't be eaten on a gluten free diet).
Unless you are on a gluten free diet, most oats are equal.
They still have carbs in though.

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Oats are naturally gluten free, (although there are articles claiming they shouldn't be eaten on a gluten free diet).
Unless you are on a gluten free diet, most oats are equal.
They still have carbs in though.
Well they are often prepared in the same environment as stuff which contains gluten so those of us who are sensitive to gluten might like to stick to gluten free!

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Well they are often prepared in the same environment as stuff which contains gluten so those of us who are sensitive to gluten might like to stick to gluten free!

Yes, my daughter is gluten free, even oats grown on a crop rotation with wheat could be an issue.