Glyclozide & weight.?

lotuslight

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am reading this can cause weight gain which seems crazy when we want the opposite.

Anyone had experience either gaining or losing on this.
Iv lost over 2stone so far il be devastated if I gain from glyclozide

Thank you

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It makes your pancreas make more insulin. And insulin has a secondary function of helping you store body fat and inhibiting losing it. So yes weight gain is common but not automatic.

Why are you going onto it? What else have you tried if you are reluctant? What style of eating do you follow?

Reactions: lotuslight

lotuslight

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi sorry for late reply.
I have lost 3 stone , but I realise I still eat quite a lot of carbs.

I’m wondering if I can dramatically cut down on carbs but it’s hard to know the correct amount or if to try Atkins or something like that.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am reading this can cause weight gain which seems crazy when we want the opposite.

Anyone had experience either gaining or losing on this.
Iv lost over 2stone so far il be devastated if I gain from glyclozide

Thank you
I have personal experience of losing 8 stone while taking max dose of this drug (Gliclazide) I am still on it, and my weight has been static for 8 years now with a BMI varying between 21 and 22. I did it without exercise or calorie restrictions. didn't even count carbs. I still don't.

If you have high insulin resistence, then Glic will increase insulin, and this forces the body to store fat rather than burn it off ergo weight gain. Most T2D have Insulin resistance, so for many this drug does not seem to work.

I used a low carb diet to reduce my insulin resistance, and when I started the Glic was not working, and now it works fine on minimum dose and my sugars are in control. It took a couple of months of LCHF to clear the IR, so it is not something you can acheive instantly.

So if the bath is full, glic will cause problems with overflow. All it does is increase insulin levels, and IR prevents that being properly used.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi sorry for late reply.
I have lost 3 stone , but I realise I still eat quite a lot of carbs.

I’m wondering if I can dramatically cut down on carbs but it’s hard to know the correct amount or if to try Atkins or something like that.
If you test before and after meals that will guide you what amount you can cope with. A rise of less than 2mmol at 2 hrs post meal is a goal to aim for.